The more you learn, the less you know?

• Thread starter killerinstinct
  • Start date
In summary: I think that's why a lot of people who are ignorant about things.. may be happier than those who are more knowledgable because they can't worry about things that they don't know about...)In summary, the more you learn, the less you know.
killerinstinct
the more you learn, the less you know?

The more you learn, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you forget.
The more you forget, the less you know.
So why STUDY?

:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Because not everything is forgotten.
(well, not figuring myself into the equation that is :biggrin: ).

Just for Fun!

My forgetfulness I do not consider fun. Muwahaha :rofl:

Oh, my ! this isn't any fun at all, If i am not mistaken, my facial muscle didn't make a move after reading that poem!

I've heard a loooooot of time and ... it's just amusing to me :rofl:

if I am really forgetfull... then i know a lot?? :rolleyes:

numberPI said:
if I am really forgetfull... then i know a lot?? :rolleyes:
-----------KNEW A LOT !------------------

REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY! i am forgetting stuff this instant by readin all y'all responses.

Pattielli said:
Oh, my ! this isn't any fun at all, If i am not mistaken, my facial muscle didn't make a move after reading that poem!

You are too serious! Not :grumpy: be :rofl:

So if you know EVERYTHING, you in fact know nothing?

:confused:

oh dear!

what if you know nothing?

forgeting was never one of my strongpoints, which is how i past HS with exemplary marks without even touching a note book :biggrin:

You know, I seem to only remember things that I deem are necessary. For example, at work we have an employee phone number directory and I just happened to glance at this one girl's number once and I can remember it like it was my own. And names. I can probably recite every one of my teacher's names from Kindergarten to this past semester. I'm actually the reverse of most people. I remember names a lot better than I can recognize faces.

Killerinstinct,

You have misinterpreted the saying, "The more you learn, the less you know." It doesn't mean the more you learn the more you forget. It means the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. It takes a certain amount of learning to realize how ignorant you are.

I prefer ignorance is... umm...a little help here please...

bliss.. it truly is...

Think about it.. wouldn't you live a happy life being ignorant...

If you're ignorant you don’t have to worry about many of the horrible things going on everywhere...
If you were completely ignorant you could probably be happy because you would be satisfied with what you have and what the world gives you...

thats why some people who might have less of everything... may be living a better life.. even than a very rich or smart person who has to be worrying about all this things going on...

and of course. it all depends how you define ignorance...

Euphoriet said:
thats why some people who might have less of everything... may be living a better life.. even than a very rich or smart person who has to be worrying about all this things going on...

Not sure about that. I think people are quite good at being miserable nomatter how ignorant they are.

The secret to happiness is to know about everything but not care :wink:

lol i guess you got a point there... but let's say.. you knew you were going to die.. what then... I think most people would care... but if you were ignorant about it...

If you are ignorant, action replays are just as exciting as the real thing.

Euphoriet said:
lol i guess you got a point there... but let's say.. you knew you were going to die.. what then... I think most people would care... but if you were ignorant about it...

Well, I guess this would be something very difficult not to care about so perhaps ignorance is really the only option. Although, saying that, have you ever discussed this issue with someone who strongly believes in an afterlife? I think that comes pretty close to 'not caring'.

jimmy p said:
If you are ignorant, action replays are just as exciting as the real thing.

hehe, that's why it's so nice to have a bad memory. Sort of reminds me of a passage in winnie the pooh:
"Don't you remember?"
"I do remember, and then when I try to remember, I forget."
[...]
"only Pooh doesn't very well, so that's why he likes having it told to him again. Because then it's a real story and not just a remembering."

story of my life really.

Matt

baffledMatt said:
Well, I guess this would be something very difficult not to care about so perhaps ignorance is really the only option. Although, saying that, have you ever discussed this issue with someone who strongly believes in an afterlife? I think that comes pretty close to 'not caring'.

Matt

Yea.. good thinking... you reminded me of that one poem.. you guys probably don't know about it.. (its in spanish) but it basically says.. "I'm dieing because I don't die".. meaning the author is dieing because they are dead (and thus not with God).

The name of this poem is:

Vivo sin vivir en mí, by Santa Teresa de Ávila

Reminds me of a poem I came across decades ago (hmmm...I hope I'm not remembering too much ?)

The Snail's Monologue

Shall I dwell in my shell?
Shall I not dwell in my shell?
Dwell in shell?
Rather not dwell?
Shall I not dwell,
shall I dwell,
dwell in shell
shall I shell,
shallIshellIshallIshellIshallI ...

Now, is this snail just indecisive or does it have a really bad memory ?

Didn't Homer once say:
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

:rofl:

Matt

baffledMatt said:
Didn't Homer once say:
Matt

At least he won't be drinking and driving.

jimmy p said:
what if you know nothing?

that's something.

Imparcticle said:
that's something.

so what if you didnt know that? :confused: :wink:

1. Why is it said that the more you learn, the less you know?

This phrase is often used to express the idea that the more knowledge and understanding one gains, the more they realize how much they still don't know. As we learn and discover new things, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities and questions, making us realize that our knowledge is limited and there is always more to learn.

2. Is it possible to know everything?

No, it is not possible to know everything. The universe is vast and constantly expanding with new information and discoveries. As humans, our capacity for learning and understanding is limited. The more we learn, the more we realize how much we don't know.

3. Does this phrase suggest that learning is pointless?

No, this phrase does not suggest that learning is pointless. In fact, it emphasizes the importance of continuous learning and expanding our knowledge. The more we learn, the more we can understand and make informed decisions.

4. How can we deal with the feeling of knowing less as we learn more?

It is natural to feel overwhelmed or even discouraged when we realize how much we still don't know despite learning new things. The best way to deal with this feeling is to embrace it and see it as an opportunity for growth. Keep an open mind and continue learning, and you will gradually gain a deeper understanding of the world.

5. Can this phrase be applied to all areas of knowledge?

Yes, this phrase can be applied to all areas of knowledge. Whether it's science, history, art, or any other field, the more we learn, the more we realize how much there is still to discover and understand. This concept is not limited to a specific subject or field of study.