Learning Texas Instruments Calculator

In summary, the conversation is about learning a Texas calculator for exam requirements, specifically differentiating and integrating without having to specify a value for x and getting answers in exact form using pi. It is mentioned that the TI-83 Plus cannot do these things and the TI-89 Titanium is recommended as an alternative.
DeusAbscondus
I am used to Classpad but have to quickly train myself up to use TI for exam requirements.

I can't work out how to do 2 bread and butter things:

1. get an answer in exact form, ie: $$\frac{\pi}{2}+\frac{\pi}{2}=\pi$$ and,
2. how to differentiate $$x^2\ or\ 2x^3+3x$$ without having to stipulate a value for $x$; ie: simply to get the first derivative of an f(x); conversely, how to do this for integration without stipulating a domain, in other words, how to calculate an indefinite integral

(I've read, and am reading again, the appropriate parts of the manual, honest!)

Thanks,
D'abs

(Perhaps this should go in Calculus, huh?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Learning Texas Calculator

I have a TI-89 Titanium, so unfortunately I will have to let someone with the TI-83 Plus address your questions, to ensure you get the best instructions.

Hi DeusAbscondus,

The reason why you can't figure out how to do either of these things is because the TI-83+ can't do them. :( It can only do definite integration and although it's wonderful with fractions, it won't output things in terms of $\pi$. If you think that the final answer should be in terms of $\pi$ you can try the following. Let's say your calculator outputs $x$ and you think that this is some multiple of $\pi$. Take \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{\pi}\) and see what you get, and let's call that $y$. The answer is also $y \pi$.

Jameson

Re: Learning Texas calculator

MarkFL said:
Probably the best forum is:
Mathematics Software and Calculator Discussion

What TI model do you have?
Thanks Mark and Jameson;
well that is annoying, especially as I have cut my teeth on a classpad which does both!

it seems a silly restriction, but i guess they have to have an agreed benchmark so that every student has access to exactly the same funtionality

Thanks for clearing up that mystery Jameson;
no less for the practical tip!
Cheers,
D'abs

Don't know if you have the option, but if you're up for a bit of a learning curve, the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f29/hp-50g-1953/is an amazing calculator. It can do all that stuff (symbolic differentiation and integration), as well as utilize the Reverse Polish Notation with stack, particularly useful for evaluating intermediate results on the fly.

Ackbach said:
Don't know if you have the option, but if you're up for a bit of a learning curve, the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f29/hp-50g-1953/is an amazing calculator. It can do all that stuff (symbolic differentiation and integration), as well as utilize the Reverse Polish Notation with stack, particularly useful for evaluating intermediate results on the fly.
Thanks Ackbach,
I'll check it with my instructress, though I think the guidelines come down to this:
"Get yourself a Texas, boy, or don't show!"

The TI-89 Titanium will do the things you asked about in the original post. It will compute derivatives and integrals symbolically, and output answers in terms of pi.

Related to Learning Texas Instruments Calculator

1. What is a Texas Instruments Calculator?

A Texas Instruments Calculator is a brand of scientific calculator developed by the company Texas Instruments. These calculators are widely used in math and science courses, and are known for their advanced functions and capabilities.

2. What are the benefits of using a Texas Instruments Calculator?

There are several benefits of using a Texas Instruments Calculator. These calculators are designed specifically for scientific and mathematical calculations, so they have a wide range of functions and capabilities. They also have a large display screen, making it easier to read and input equations. Texas Instruments Calculators are also durable and long-lasting, making them a reliable tool for students and professionals.

3. How do I use a Texas Instruments Calculator?

Texas Instruments Calculators have a user-friendly interface that allows users to input equations and perform calculations easily. Each model may have slightly different functions and buttons, so it is important to refer to the user manual for specific instructions. Generally, users can use the number keys and function buttons to input equations and use the "=" button to get the result.

4. Can I graph equations on a Texas Instruments Calculator?

Yes, most Texas Instruments Calculators have a graphing function that allows users to plot equations and analyze data. Some models may have more advanced graphing capabilities than others, so it is important to check the specific model's features.

5. Are Texas Instruments Calculators allowed on exams?

The use of Texas Instruments Calculators may vary depending on the exam and institution. It is important to check with your professor or exam guidelines to determine if a calculator is allowed and if there are any restrictions on the types of functions or models that can be used.