Learning Python: Seeking Resources for a Summer Study

In summary, the recommended resources for learning Python are online courses, a textbook, and practicing by writing algorithms and scripts.
TheBigBadBen
I'd like to try to pick up Python over the summer, while I have the free time. I do have some programming experience, and I've heard it's not too difficult to pick up. I've found some things here and there, but if anybody has any strong recommendations of a particular resource (pdf document, video series, anything really), I would really appreciate it.

Technology news on Phys.org
TheBigBadBen said:
I'd like to try to pick up Python over the summer, while I have the free time. I do have some programming experience, and I've heard it's not too difficult to pick up. I've found some things here and there, but if anybody has any strong recommendations of a particular resource (pdf document, video series, anything really), I would really appreciate it.

Python Tutorial

TheBigBadBen said:

Hi TheBigBadBen, :)

I would suggest following one of the online courses below.

https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython

https://www.edx.org/course/mit/6-00x/introduction-computer-science/586

http://alison.com/courses/Introduction-to-Programming-with-Python

If you already have some programming experience it should be relatively easy to pick up Python. What I did a couple years ago to learn it was write algorithms with it. It quickly teaches you the syntax and is quite fun. Then you can learn how to work with files, find out about the various built-in data structures available (lists, dictionaries, are all Pythonic - use them extensively), the network if you like, and then perhaps you want to look at how to write graphical interfaces, or whatever you like really.

But I recommend just trying to write many algorithms and scripts to get comfortable with the language first. Without that knowledge any Python resource may seem impenetrable. And also, consult the Python documentation often, it is actually helpful (remember to select the right version).​

Thank you guys for your input so far.

Bacterius' (Bacterius's?) post reminded me that I do want to be able to do some stuff at the graphical end of things, maybe get to the point where I can build a nice working GUI for something... sciencey. Actually, might want to figure that out in MATLAB first... I will definitely try to find algorithms and scripts to put together. Actually, maybe I should be looking for an algorithms course, and try that stuff out. Not really very focused about what I want to get done, apparently.

Anyway, thank you.

Thank you dwsmith for the link. I would have expected the official documentation to be much more intimidating than it apparently is. I've bookmarked it for reference, but I'm still looking for something that can function as a structured sort of lesson plan.

Thank you Sudharaka for your links. However, I think actually registering for an online course might be a bit much; I'm still not sure how much I'll end up following through with this. Also, I'm usually reluctant to give my email if I don't have to. But we'll see.

For my own part, I've also found this online textbook
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.pdf
so I'll probably flip though that as well.

Related to Learning Python: Seeking Resources for a Summer Study

1. What is Python and why is it useful for learning?

Python is a high-level, versatile programming language that is widely used in various fields, such as data science, web development, and artificial intelligence. It is known for its simple and readable syntax, making it easy for beginners to learn. It is also an open-source language, meaning it is free to use and has a large community for support and resources.

2. Where can I find resources to learn Python over the summer?

There are many online resources available for learning Python, such as interactive tutorials, video courses, and coding challenges. Some popular websites include Codecademy, Coursera, and Udemy. You can also find free e-books and documentation on the official Python website.

3. Do I need any prior programming experience to learn Python?

No, Python is a beginner-friendly language and does not require any prior programming experience. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and logic can be helpful.

4. Are there any specific tips for learning Python over the summer?

It is important to set a goal and create a study schedule for yourself. Practice regularly and try to build projects to apply what you have learned. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or join online communities to connect with other learners.

5. How long does it take to learn Python?

The time it takes to learn Python varies for each individual, as it depends on factors such as prior experience and dedication to learning. With consistent practice and effort, one can become proficient in the basics of Python within a few weeks. However, mastering the language and its advanced features may take several months or even years.