Learning piano or programming?

In summary, learning to program would be a more interesting experience, but learning to play the piano would be more fun.
Lapidus
I want to learn something new. Something that takes time to accomplish and that would 'enrich' me somehow. I thought about learning programming or learning playing the piano. I tried both at a very elementary level and find them both fascinating, but only would have the time (and energy!) for one of them to learn.

What would you learn if you had to choose between these two? What is the greater learning experience, and what will expand my horizon more?

I know it is a stupid and very personal question that someone only can answer for himself, but I ask it anyway. After all, it's general discussion forum!

Technology news on Phys.org
It all depends on your passion.

When I was young I wanted to learn piano, but there was no way to get that in.

In the 80ies, people called me an eldery whizkid for the games and administrative sofware I made on the Atari ST system. It reduced the workload of my dad and my brother in law to some 25%.

But that distracted much from the quest for the truth, as a programmer you're trapped in a box imo. You can explore the whole box and you can even get imaginary outside the box in an imaginary world. That is called modeling. But you won't discover what the truth is. Mammoths are much more fun.

I know how to program, and I wouldn't trade it for knowing the piano, but I'd love to know how to play piano!

Programming is kind of like playing with legos, you can make lots of cool stuff, but at the end of the day you're playing within a set of rules someone else has created. Music I think is much more personalized.

Learn to program, then learn the piano. You can use the money you make from your job to pay for piano lessons. =]

Oddly enough, just this morning in the shower I had a thought, that it would be cool to learn the piano. I have no musical experience, I just thought it would be a new, interesting, and fun challenge.

Related to Learning piano or programming?

1. How long does it take to learn piano or programming?

The amount of time it takes to learn piano or programming varies depending on the individual's dedication and practice habits. Generally, it takes about a year of consistent practice to become proficient in either skill, but mastery can take much longer.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in music or computer science to learn piano or programming?

Having a background in either music or computer science can certainly be helpful, but it is not necessary. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn piano or programming regardless of their background.

3. Can I learn piano or programming on my own or do I need to take lessons?

It is possible to learn piano or programming on your own through online resources or books, but taking lessons with a teacher can greatly accelerate the learning process and provide valuable feedback and guidance.

4. Is it too late to start learning piano or programming?

It is never too late to start learning piano or programming. While it may be easier to learn at a younger age, adults can still become proficient in these skills with dedication and practice.

5. What are the benefits of learning piano or programming?

Learning piano can improve fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and cognitive abilities. Learning programming can improve problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and creativity. Both skills can also provide a sense of accomplishment and enjoyment.