Learning ODEs: Self-Teaching for a Graduate Degree

In summary, the individual is currently in the life sciences but is switching to physical sciences for a graduate degree in one year. The program recommends having knowledge of ordinary differential equations, but the individual's formal training is not up to that of a physical scientist's. They are considering self-teaching ODEs and reviewing multivariable calculus. They are unsure if they should use MIT open course material, an ODE textbook, or an applied techniques book. Due to time constraints, they are wondering if it would be smarter to focus on an applications book. They have also provided links to videos for additional resources.
ryan_a
Hi everyone,

I have searched all over the site to see if I am repeating a question, but I don't believe that I am.

So I am currently in the life sciences, but I am switching to physical sciences to do a graduate degree in one year. The program, obviously, recommends that I have decent knowledge of ordinary differential equations.

I love maths, but will admit that my formal training is not up to that of a physical scientist's. My goal is to teach myself, as much as possible, ODEs and review my multivariable calculus from a few years ago.

I am trying to decide how best to do this. Should I do MIT open course material on multivariable calc and ODEs? Should I just work through an ODE textbook? Or, should I go the more applied route and use a techniques book that covers everything from Laplace transforms to line integrals (for example, Mathematical techniques, Jordan and Smith)?

In an ideal world, I would learn the pure maths and then how to apply it because I want a deep understanding of the subjects. However, I only have so much time (I work full-time). Would it be smarter for me to just jump into an applications book?

I hope my question is clear. But please ask, I would love to clarify anything.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I hope you are all well.

Ryan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could check these videos out:

http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com/

and in particular:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28928849/Webpages/DifferentialEquationsVideoLibraryTable.htm

Each topic is roughly 10 mins each, similar to Khan's Academy but simpler in design.

Related to Learning ODEs: Self-Teaching for a Graduate Degree

1. What is the best way to learn ODEs for a graduate degree?

The best way to learn ODEs is to start with the fundamentals and build a strong foundation of knowledge. This can include studying basic concepts and theories, practicing problem-solving techniques, and familiarizing yourself with real-world applications of ODEs.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-teaching ODEs for a graduate degree?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-teaching ODEs will vary depending on your learning style and background knowledge. It is recommended to spend a few hours each day consistently studying and practicing ODEs to ensure a thorough understanding of the subject.

3. What resources are available for self-teaching ODEs?

There are many resources available for self-teaching ODEs, including textbooks, online courses and tutorials, practice problems, and peer-reviewed articles. It is important to choose resources that align with your learning goals and are from reputable sources.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to learn ODEs?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful in understanding ODEs, it is not necessary. With dedication and the right resources, anyone can learn ODEs even without a strong math background. It is important to review and refresh your understanding of relevant mathematical concepts as needed.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of ODEs in the real world?

ODEs have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. By learning ODEs, you will gain a valuable skill set that can be applied to real-world problems and contribute to advancements in these fields.