Learning Math From Very Basics to Calc and more

In summary, the person is planning to major in chemical engineering but feels they have a weak foundation in math, chemistry, and physics. They are seeking advice on how to learn these subjects on their own, starting with algebra and progressing to calculus. They are recommended to use Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare as resources. They are also reminded to use forums such as physicsforums.com for additional help. A book called "Basic Mathematics" by Lang is suggested, but it may not be suitable for everyone. They are still looking for more suggestions to create a plan for themselves.
ChemE2310
I am going to major in chemical engineering next year, but I feel like I don't have a great base in math, chemistry, or physics. Sure, I got "good" grades at the time, but I took a year off the subjects and now I feel like I am helpless.

What would be the best way to go about learning this on my own - what progression (specifically for math)?

I would like to start at Algebra and work my way up, maybe even start at a primer of pre-algebra just to make positive that I have a great math base.

For Chem and Physics I need the same guidance.

Recommend a path and resources I could use to get there.

Thank you so much,

Christian

Physics news on Phys.org
khanacademy.com is a great way to refresh yourself on algebra all the way up to Trigonometry. However I find their Calculus lectures to be a bit lacking. It's best to work any subject after that with a textbook and perhaps using something like ocw.mit.edu as another resource.

Also, don't forget physicsforums.com! Everyone here is more than happy to help you out with any problem you may encounter. PF is THE best resource for learning from my experience.

QuarkCharmer said:
khanacademy.com is a great way to refresh yourself on algebra all the way up to Trigonometry. However I find their Calculus lectures to be a bit lacking. It's best to work any subject after that with a textbook and perhaps using something like ocw.mit.edu as another resource.

Also, don't forget physicsforums.com! Everyone here is more than happy to help you out with any problem you may encounter. PF is THE best resource for learning from my experience.

Thanks a bunch!

I'll get started on khan - should take me quite a while to get through to trig.
I'll reassess from there most likely.

I highly recommend the book "Basic Mathematics" by Lang. It covers everything you should know about high-school mathematics. If you understand the book, then you're ready for calculus. The focus is a bit on proofs and theory, so this might not be what you want.

Thanks for the replies, but bump for more suggestions as well. Still working on a plan

Related to Learning Math From Very Basics to Calc and more

1. What is the best way to learn math from the very basics to Calculus and beyond?

The best way to learn math from the basics to Calculus and beyond is to start with a solid foundation in the fundamentals. This includes mastering basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Once these concepts are understood, it's important to practice regularly and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.

2. How long does it take to learn math from the very basics to Calculus and beyond?

The amount of time it takes to learn math from the basics to Calculus and beyond varies depending on the individual's learning style and dedication. Some may be able to progress faster than others, but it's important to take the time to fully understand each concept before moving on to the next. It could take anywhere from a few months to a few years to master all levels of math.

3. Do I need to have a natural talent for math to learn it from the very basics to Calculus and beyond?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards math, it's not a requirement for learning it from the very basics to Calculus and beyond. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and excel in math. It's important to have a positive attitude and not be discouraged by any challenges that may arise.

4. What are some tips for retaining and applying math concepts?

One of the best ways to retain and apply math concepts is through regular practice. It's important to not only solve problems, but also understand the underlying concepts and how they are applied in different scenarios. Another tip is to review and reinforce previously learned material before moving on to new concepts.

5. Is it necessary to learn advanced math, such as Calculus, if I don't plan on pursuing a career in math or science?

While it may not be necessary for all careers, learning advanced math, such as Calculus, can still be beneficial in many ways. It helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in any field. Additionally, many colleges and universities require advanced math courses for certain majors, so it may be beneficial to have a strong foundation in these concepts.