Learning integrals and derivitaves in pre calculus.

In summary: Just make sure you have a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry first.In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between pre-calculus and calculus, specifically in relation to solving scientific equations such as magnetic flux and magnetic fields. The speaker believes that pre-calculus is not necessary to learn calculus and recommends starting to learn it right away. However, they also mention that the level of math needed for advanced problem solving may take more than a year to learn. The conversation also touches on the flaws in the education system and the importance of learning challenging subjects. The speaker also suggests having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before delving into calculus. They also clarify that algebra can be used to solve equations, but calculus may provide more accurate solutions
Jewish_Vulcan
Hello I am in pre-calculus which is the next math class after algebra 2 and there are many scientific equations that require a knowledge of calculus to solve. For example I do science olympiad maglev and many of the equations to solve for magnetic flux or magnetic fields etc.. use derivatives and integrals. I was wondering if it would be too hard to learn integrals and derivitaves while still 2 years away from calculus.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My idea was always that you don't really need precalculus in order to study calculus. You can learn the relevant techniques on the side (and they would make much more sense!). The only thing you really need is a knowledge of trigonometry (meaning: some trigonometric identities), but you can get quite far without this.

I'd say you can start learning calculus right now. I recommend Lang's "A first course in calculus". It introduces the necessary concepts from precalculus (and perhaps even trig).

I expect the main reason you are "still 2 years away from calculus" is that your country's education system thinks it's too hard for kiddies to learn.

There's no reason why an bright 14 year old shouldn't be able to learn calculus IMO. If you can deal with algebra and trigonometry, that's all you need to get started.

But the level of math you need to "solve for magnetic flux or magnetic fields etc" is probably beyond a first calculus course, so getting to that level might take you a while (i.e. more than a year).

AlephZero said:
I expect the main reason you are "still 2 years away from calculus" is that your country's education system thinks it's too hard for kiddies to learn.

There's no reason why an bright 14 year old shouldn't be able to learn calculus IMO. If you can deal with algebra and trigonometry, that's all you need to get started.

But the level of math you need to "solve for magnetic flux or magnetic fields etc" is probably beyond a first calculus course, so getting to that level might take you a while (i.e. more than a year).
I totallly agree with you about the fact that the United States has an illogical education system. If it were up to me I would take the most challenging classes but there are to many dumb/lazy people that seem to represent most teenagers that make the school board not allow students to take challenging classes such as ap physics/ap chemistry as a sophmore. but I do try to learn classes over the summer. There are many illogical classes such as art that you have to take to graduate when you can be learning another science class instead.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
That is fine there are algebra versions of how to solve magnetic flux/fields but I wanted to learn it the proper way and I was told that the algebra versions are not as accurate as the calculus versions.

Last edited:
What do you mean by solving for those equations using algebra is less accurate than using calculus? As long as the problem is reasonably simplistic (which they should be at that level), algebra should be just fine.

That being said, if you really want to go ahead and learn calculus, basic derivatives and integrals are easy to learn.

Related to Learning integrals and derivitaves in pre calculus.

1. What is the difference between an integral and a derivative?

An integral is the reverse process of differentiation, and it represents the accumulation or total amount of a quantity. A derivative, on the other hand, represents the rate of change of a quantity at a specific point.

2. Why is it important to learn integrals and derivatives in pre calculus?

Integrals and derivatives are fundamental concepts in calculus, which is a branch of mathematics used to study rates of change and accumulation. Understanding these concepts in pre calculus will provide a strong foundation for further studies in calculus and other fields such as physics and economics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of integrals and derivatives in pre calculus?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding integrals and derivatives. Make sure to do plenty of exercises and seek help from your teacher or peers if you are struggling with certain concepts. Additionally, watching online tutorials or attending review sessions can also be helpful.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals and derivatives?

While calculators can be a helpful tool in calculus, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts before relying on a calculator. It is recommended to first solve problems by hand and then use a calculator to check your work.

5. Are there real-life applications of integrals and derivatives?

Yes, integrals and derivatives have numerous real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. For example, derivatives are used to calculate rates of change in stock prices, while integrals are used to find the total distance traveled by an object with varying velocity.