Learn the Pythagorean Theorem with Lou

In summary: I think that might be a better way to approach it. hmmm, good point, but you could set up a system of equations to solve for the altitude and then solve for x. I think that might be a better way to approach it.
Lou1024
Hey everyone,
I understand a2+b2=c2, but I have trouble figuring out which side is which in problems like these:
http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/8238/py8gu.png

Can someone explain?
Thanks,
Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't do the first one without knowing any angles.On the second one, I think you drew it incorrectly because you can tell that it is two. However, if it was on the width instead of length, then you would do x^2+2^2=4^2.Remember, the pythagorean theorem only works with right triangles. However, you can often cut something into a right triangle. It would be better if you could draw an image of an actual example from your book or whatever.

pythagorean theory only works for right triangles. for the first triangle you would have to draw an altitude right down the middle to make two right triangles. Don't forget to cut x in half also.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm the not so bright guy saying, its all about common knowledge. Look at the triangles? Did your teacher or resource say the equation a2+b2=c2 only works for right triangles?
In geometry, (the part of the course i practically failed) you can find right triangles in the first triangle, just by making it look like there is. When you, figured out to put a line in the middle you would need an equation.
The x in your diagrams are defined as a variable. you need that variable to be able to plug into your equation. Then its all about putting the pieces together.
When i had problems like these i usually refer to my notes seeing if i had any other info on triangles. At that time i didn't know cosine law and sine law, but's that's a different ball league.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not so bright and yet i practice my studies and homework to be the 80% dude.
--------------------------------------------------------------
An hour a day keeps the teacher away (from looking at your homework)

For right triangles the longest side is called hypotnuse, the other to sides are legs/arms. Usually most diagrams of (right) triangles have angles that correspond to the side opposite the angle. ie Angle C, the side opposite is c, and c is usually denoted as the hypotnuse which makes angle C=90 degrees.

konartist said:
pythagorean theory only works for right triangles. for the first triangle you would have to draw an altitude right down the middle to make two right triangles. Don't forget to cut x in half also.

You can't cut it in half because 2 does not equal 4.

moose said:
You can't cut it in half because 2 does not equal 4.

hmmm, good point, but you could set up a system of equations to solve for the altitude and then solve for x.

Related to Learn the Pythagorean Theorem with Lou

What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical principle that relates the three sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Who is Lou?

Lou is a fictional character who is used as a fun and interactive way to teach the Pythagorean Theorem. He is often depicted as a cartoon character or a stuffed animal.

Why is the Pythagorean Theorem important?

The Pythagorean Theorem is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is also the basis for other important mathematical concepts.

How do you use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve problems?

To use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve problems, you first identify which sides of the triangle are known and which is the hypotenuse. Then, you plug in the known values into the formula c² = a² + b² and solve for the missing side.

Can the Pythagorean Theorem be used for non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem can only be used for right triangles. However, there are other formulas and theorems that can be used to solve problems involving non-right triangles.