Learn More About Operating Systems: Linux, Pearl & More

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to learn more about operating systems, specifically Linux, and how it works. The use of languages such as Perl and Java in Linux is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the importance of learning the shell and suggests resources for learning about it.
prashantgolu
hey...
This semester we were taught basic operating system functionality...like paging,segmentation,virtual memory,demand paging,disk allocation,memory allocation,disk scheduling,cpu scheduling,etc...form Galvin operating systems book...now i want to learn more about operating systems...such as linux...how it works...command prompt,etc on the same lines as we were taught...somebody told me that pearl is the language of linux...should i learn pearl...??

Technology news on Phys.org
You don't need to learn perl to use linux.

The linux kernel is written primarily in C.

then where does pearl help me in...?
and btw pearl and java which one is more better and practical these days...

prashantgolu said:
then where does pearl help me in...?
and btw pearl and java which one is more better and practical these days...

When it comes to software development, you typically use a particular code-base (like C/C++) which may include custom platforms, or you just use a legacy system that was originally used for the particular development environment (think repositories like FORTRAN, SmallTalk, maybe even some Assembler/Machine Langauge for some specific hardware platform).

Typically for performance you use platforms that are optimized for speed (so something like C/C++ with a good optimizing compiler) and scripting or definition languages where you can get away with it (something like say Perl or any other scripting language).

In short, you use what you have got to get something done. Some environments are optimized for particular things, but doing other things can be a pain in the neck due to the structure of the system you are dealing with.

prashantgolu said:
hey...
This semester we were taught basic operating system functionality...like paging,segmentation,virtual memory,demand paging,disk allocation,memory allocation,disk scheduling,cpu scheduling,etc...form Galvin operating systems book...now i want to learn more about operating systems...such as linux...how it works...command prompt,etc on the same lines as we were taught...somebody told me that pearl is the language of linux...should i learn pearl...??

You start with navigating and using the shell.

That would be mostly bash

Then you learn about the filesystem hierarchy and the default systempaths , location of binaries , filesystem security

Diving deeper into the OS with ' Understanding the linux kernel ' from O' Reilly

On to learning to download , compile and install your sourcecode into binaries , and getting aquainted with one of the software repository management systems

Perl is one of many scripting languages launched from within a shell

It has many elements borrowed from C but builds on top of that.

Other scriptengines exist like python , php etc .

Lots of things to learn and places to start

so i'l start with learning bash first...i hope this is fine...can somebody suggest a very good book for it...

prashantgolu said:
so i'l start with learning bash first...i hope this is fine...can somebody suggest a very good book for it...

When I need a resource I often use amazon to browse the user reviews :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...n:283155,n:!1000,n:5,k:bash&tag=pfamazon01-20

That gives me often an indication of the book I want.

I haven't read any book on just bash myself , I learned it myself online or got it as an aside through other subjects

I'm planning on buying the bash cookbook and bash pcket reference from O'Reilly

Learning the bash shell , also O'Reilly would be a good first starter

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Learn More About Operating Systems: Linux, Pearl & More

What is an operating system?

An operating system is a software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. It acts as an intermediary between the user and the computer hardware, allowing the user to interact with the computer and run applications.

What is Linux?

Linux is an open-source operating system that is based on the Unix operating system. It is widely used in servers, desktops, smartphones, and other devices. It is known for its stability, security, and flexibility, and is favored by developers due to its open-source nature.

What is Perl?

Perl is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that is used for a wide range of applications, including system administration, web development, network programming, and more. It is known for its powerful text processing capabilities and its extensive library of modules.

How is Linux different from other operating systems?

Linux is different from other operating systems in many ways. It is open-source, which means that the source code is freely available and can be modified by anyone. It is also highly customizable, allowing users to choose from a wide range of desktop environments and tools. Additionally, Linux is known for its stability, security, and low cost.

What are the advantages of using Perl?

Perl has several advantages, including its flexibility, portability, and powerful text processing capabilities. It also has a large community of users and developers, making it easy to find support and resources. Additionally, Perl is known for its ability to handle complex tasks and its compatibility with other programming languages.