Learn Math for E&M: Crucial Concepts & Advice

In summary, the speaker is enrolled in E&M and calc II as a corequisite. The E&M professor expects a strong math background from students, causing the speaker to worry about their own abilities. They plan to learn ahead in math to better understand the material. They ask for advice on the most crucial mathematical concepts needed for a basic E&M course. Other speakers mention that E&M involves vector calculus and integration, and that it may be challenging without a strong math foundation. The speaker is determined to pass the course and will use Halliday and Resnik's physics book.
Andromeda321
Hey everyone,
This term I'm enrolled in E&M which is a subject I've never formally learned anything in but I've loved for years and gained a lot of practical knowledge in (I'm a Ham radio junkie). Now I'm one week into the course and I really like it but there's one problem that needs to be taken care of ASAP. I'm enrolled in calc II this term (which is a corequisite) but the E&M prof seems to be under the distinct impression that the math ability in the class is a lot further then that. Not very complicatedly I'm told, but I and many of my fellow classmates have just never reached some things he's used for proofs etc in math class yet.
So I'm not going to let something like this get in my way of learning what I want to learn (can't drop it and wait a term as I'm an astronomy/physics major). Right now I've figured the best thing would be to learn ahead a bit in math so I will be familiar with the mathematical bits much better. I've learned a lot of math on my own and have a few friends further ahead in math then me willing to help out but I don't know what's most worth my time to study.
So in short what are the most crucial mathematical concepts you need to know in a basic E&M course? Because I don't want to suddenly discover before a test that I flat out don't know how to do something mathematically; I'm sure the class will be challenging enough without that! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you do not have a working knowledge of intgral and diffential calculus, you'll have problems in E&M. I was in the same boat as you are, I didn't have enough calculus when I took my first E&M course out of Halliday and Resnik and nearly flunked it. I was able to learn enough to pass, but just barely.

E&M is vector calculus

cepheid said:
E&M is vector calculus

yeah, it's stuff taught mainly toward the end of calc 3. there are also courses entirely devoted to vector calc.

yeah.. generally you should have a working knowledge of multivariable calculus for line, surface integrals and such, but in undergrad class there is usually a watered down version with simple cases, etc, but still -I should have completed calculus 2 BEFORE beginning physics 2 - i think you might have a problem with it towards the end when they do EM waves, flux, and circuit analysis

Last time I looked at Halliday and Resnik, they used integral calculus to calculate the electric field, magnetic field, scalar and vector potentials etc...

Well I have to do E&M this term if I am to graduate in 4 years so I guess there's not much I can do there. However we do vector calculus at the end of this term and have already done a heck of a lot of integration. I've also asked around and apparently students who are in calc 2 are alright in the class all told. That makes me feel a little better.
Oh, and for the record, we're using Halliday and Resnik's physics book this term if anyone's interested.

Related to Learn Math for E&M: Crucial Concepts & Advice

1. What is the purpose of "Learn Math for E&M: Crucial Concepts & Advice"?

The purpose of this course is to help students develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques that are crucial for success in the field of electromagnetism. It focuses on key topics such as vector calculus, differential equations, and complex numbers, as well as providing practical advice for problem-solving and studying.

2. Is this course suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

This course is designed for students with a basic understanding of calculus and algebra. It is suitable for anyone who wants to improve their math skills in preparation for studying electromagnetism, regardless of their current level of proficiency.

3. How is this course different from other math courses?

Unlike traditional math courses, this course is specifically tailored for students studying electromagnetism. It focuses on the specific concepts and techniques that are most relevant to this field, rather than covering a broad range of mathematical topics. It also provides practical advice and tips for success in studying and problem-solving.

4. Do I need any special software or materials for this course?

No, this course can be completed using standard math software and materials. However, some recommended resources and practice problems may require additional materials that can be easily accessed online or through your institution.

5. Will this course help me with other areas of physics?

While this course is specifically focused on math for electromagnetism, the concepts and techniques covered can also be applied to other areas of physics that use similar mathematical methods. Therefore, this course can also benefit students studying other fields such as mechanics, quantum physics, and thermodynamics.