Learn How to Create COSY and TOCSY Spectra for NMR Analysis

• Thread starter Denver Dang
  • Start date
You can think of TOCSY as a way of "zooming in" on a particular peak in a COSY spectrum. The peaks in a COSY spectrum arise from the correlation between two different chemical shifts. In a TOCSY experiment, you would select one of those chemical shifts to focus on, then record the spectrum again. This would give you a spectrum with all the peaks that have the selected chemical shift. So, in summary, COSY spectra show direct coupling between hydrogens on adjacent carbons, while TOCSY can show coupling between any hydrogens with the same chemical shift, regardless of distance.
Denver Dang
Hi.

I was just curious to how I make these spectras ?

In some of my assignments I have to give a sketch of how a COSY and TOCSY spectra would look like from a given molecule structuere I have and their NMR spectras.

So if I'm not mistaken, in a COSY spectra, I draw the H NMR spectrum on each eaxis, and then draw a dot at the places where there is a direct coupling between hydrogen atoms, right ?
Like if I have:

CH3 - CH2 - CH3,

then CH2 would couple with both CH3, but the CH3's will not couple with each other ? And therefor there is no point/dot for the coordinates where CH3 and CH3 meet ?
Or am I missing something for COSY at least ?

Now, for TOCSY, the CH3's do connect in some way, but my question here is, how far along does hydrogens connect in this type of spectra ?
Again, if I have:

CH3 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH3

Does all the H's connect in the TOCSY spectra, or is it just the first 3 or 4 (or something else) within reach ?

So basically, my question is, if I have understood how to do the COSY at least ? And how much coupling there is in TOCSY, and of course, have I totally misunderstood any of it ? :)

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Denver Dang said:
So if I'm not mistaken, in a COSY spectra, I draw the H NMR spectrum on each eaxis, and then draw a dot at the places where there is a direct coupling between hydrogen atoms, right ?
Like if I have:

CH3 - CH2 - CH3,

then CH2 would couple with both CH3, but the CH3's will not couple with each other ? And therefor there is no point/dot for the coordinates where CH3 and CH3 meet ?
This is basically the right idea, with some of the details wrong. COSY spectra give correlation peaks for hydrogens on adjacent carbons, so in the case of propane above, you'd get correlation peaks between the CH2 and CH3 protons. However, since the two methyl groups are equivalent, their peaks are at the same chemical shift. Since the peaks are located at the same position in the spectrum, it's meaningless to talk about a cross correlation peak. Instead, consider a molecule like n-pentane:
CH3 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH3
The methyl group protons will give cross peaks with the protons from the CH2 group directly adjacent to it, and that group will give cross peaks with both the methyl end group and the middle CH2 group. The middle CH2 group will give cross peaks with the adjacent CH2 groups (which are magnetically equivalent), but not the end CH3 groups, because COSY doesn't couple protons on non-adjacent carbons.
Denver Dang said:
Now, for TOCSY, the CH3's do connect in some way, but my question here is, how far along does hydrogens connect in this type of spectra ?
Again, if I have:

CH3 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH3

Does all the H's connect in the TOCSY spectra, or is it just the first 3 or 4 (or something else) within reach ?
TOCSY couples longer chains (but it's not particularly simple). In this case, yes, the TOCSY spectrum will probably couple all the protons with all the other protons.

Related to Learn How to Create COSY and TOCSY Spectra for NMR Analysis

1. What is NMR analysis and why is it important in scientific research?

NMR analysis, or nuclear magnetic resonance analysis, is a technique that utilizes the principles of nuclear magnetic resonance to study the properties of molecules. It is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to determine the structure and composition of molecules, which is crucial in fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmaceuticals.

2. What are COSY and TOCSY spectra and how are they used in NMR analysis?

COSY and TOCSY spectra are two types of 2D NMR experiments that are used to determine the connectivity of atoms within a molecule. COSY (COrrelation SpectroscopY) measures the correlations between protons in a molecule, while TOCSY (TOtal Correlation SpectroscopY) measures the correlations between all protons in a molecule. These spectra are important in determining the structure of complex molecules.

3. What are the steps involved in creating COSY and TOCSY spectra for NMR analysis?

The first step is to prepare a sample containing the molecule of interest in a suitable solvent. The sample is then placed in the NMR instrument and subjected to a series of radiofrequency pulses. The resulting data is processed using specialized software to create a 2D spectrum. The spectrum is then analyzed to determine the correlations between protons and the structure of the molecule.

4. What are the benefits of using COSY and TOCSY spectra in NMR analysis?

COSY and TOCSY spectra provide more detailed information about the structure and connectivity of molecules compared to traditional 1D NMR experiments. They also allow for the identification of smaller, more complex molecules that may not be distinguishable with 1D NMR. Additionally, these spectra provide valuable insights into the dynamics of molecules.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in creating COSY and TOCSY spectra for NMR analysis?

One of the main challenges in creating COSY and TOCSY spectra is the long acquisition times required, which can range from hours to days depending on the complexity of the molecule. Additionally, the spectra may be affected by factors such as solvent effects and sample impurities, which can make interpretation more difficult. It is important to carefully control these variables to obtain accurate results.