Learn How 6 is Derived in Strain Gage Bending Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of strain gages in a project to measure weight with a specific accuracy. The formula used is S_b = (F*L*6)/(E*b*h), where F is the weight applied, L is the length, E is the Young's Modulus, and b and h are base and height dimensions. The group needs S_b to be between 500 and 1,000, and they are questioning where the 6 in the formula comes from and if it is related to moment of inertia formulas. The discussion then delves into the derivation of the formula using Hooke's law and the stress and strain equations. Finally, there is a clarification that the h in the formula should be squared.
sean882
In strength of materials, we have to do a project using strain gages to measure a weight between 0 and 10 lbs with an accuracy of .1lbs. My group is using bending strain. We have a formula, S[tex]_{}b[/tex]=[tex]\frac{F*L*6}{E*b*h}[/tex], where F is the weight applied, L is the length, E is the Young's Modulus, b and h are base and height dimensions, respectively. We need S[tex]_{}b[/tex] to equal between 500 and 1,000. Where does the 6 come from in the formula? We have a feeling it comes from moment of inertia formulas somehow, but could you explain how it is derived? Thanks,

-Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
My LaTeX equations aren't working right in PF. I think you can decipher the LaTeX code :-)

The stress due to bending is \sigma = \frac{Mc}{I}. The strain is given by Hooke's law: \epsilon = \frac{\sigma}[E] = \frac{Mc}{EI}. I = \frac{bh^3}{12} and c = \frac{h}{2} and M = F*L. This yields \epsilon = \frac{6FL}{Ebh^2}.

I'm pretty sure in your equation the h needs to be squared.

Thanks a bunch!

Related to Learn How 6 is Derived in Strain Gage Bending Formula

1. What is the purpose of learning how 6 is derived in the strain gage bending formula?

The strain gage bending formula is used to measure the amount of strain or stress in a material. Understanding how 6 is derived in this formula allows scientists to accurately measure and analyze the behavior of materials under stress, which is essential in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and biomechanics.

2. How is 6 derived in the strain gage bending formula?

The value of 6 in the strain gage bending formula is derived from the geometry and mechanics of the material being tested. It takes into account factors such as the length, width, and thickness of the material, as well as the applied load and the position of the strain gage.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving 6 in the strain gage bending formula?

There are a few assumptions made in deriving the value of 6 in the strain gage bending formula. These include assuming the material is homogenous, isotropic, and linear elastic, as well as assuming that the deformation is small and the material is under pure bending stress.

4. How does understanding 6 in the strain gage bending formula affect experimental results?

Having a thorough understanding of how 6 is derived in the strain gage bending formula allows scientists to accurately interpret and analyze experimental results. It ensures that the data collected is reliable and can be used to make informed decisions in various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using the strain gage bending formula and understanding 6?

Like any scientific formula, the strain gage bending formula and the understanding of 6 have limitations. These include assumptions made in the derivation, the accuracy of measuring instruments, and the complexity of real-life materials and their behavior under stress. It is important for scientists to consider these limitations when using the formula and interpreting results.