Leading and lagging clock times in Lorentz Transforms

In summary, the author argues that "leading clocks lag" when compared to trailing clocks, but this conclusion is incorrect because the relative velocity between the frames must be positive.
exmarine
Someone posted this link to a paper I really appreciated.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/physri/2015/895134/

But doesn’t the author have the wrong sign on the relative velocity in his Lorentz Transform associated with his figure 2b? And if so, doesn’t that reverse his conclusion that “leading clocks lag”? His leading clock is #3 in the figure, and its time would then be LARGER than that of the trailing clock #1? So wouldn’t the correct rule be “trailing clocks lag”?

He never really shows the time phase LT calculation, but he does show a negative relative velocity in the first column on page 3. But the particle is moving to the right along the observer’s positive x’-axis. So it seems to me that the relative velocity should be positive in the LT from the particle’s x-axis frame to the observer’s x’-axis. The LT must approach the Galilean Transform for very small velocities, and that would be (x’=x + vt). This produces a later time in clock #3 than in clock #1, not the earlier time indicated in his figure 2b.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's correct. There are two frames: [itex]F[/itex] (as shown in figure 2b), in which the particle is moving at velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] (to the right, in the picture), and [itex]F'[/itex] (as shown in figure 2a), in which the particle is at rest. The clocks in both figures are (I assume) clocks that are synchronized to show [itex]t'[/itex], the time as measured in frame [itex]F'[/itex].

From the point of view of frame [itex]F'[/itex], the clocks are synchronized; they all show the same time. From the point of view of frame [itex]F[/itex], the clocks are offset, according to the Lorentz transformation:

[itex]t' = \gamma (t - \frac{vx}{c^2})[/itex]

So clocks with a larger value of [itex]x[/itex] show a smaller value for [itex]t'[/itex].

Thank you very much for looking at this. But you think for very large time (1≪t), the observer’s coordinate (x’) for the location of the particle at (x=0) will be very large NEGATIVE? Don’t think so. It is moving to the right as indicated in his figure 2b, so it will be very large positive (1≪x’). The relative velocity must be positive in the LT, and that switches the conclusion about which clock is lagging.

I think I see my error. I was looking at the wrong clock. Sorry...

Related to Leading and lagging clock times in Lorentz Transforms

1. What is the concept of leading and lagging clock times in Lorentz Transforms?

The concept of leading and lagging clock times in Lorentz Transforms is based on the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be measured differently for observers in different frames of reference. In this context, leading clock time refers to the time measured by an observer who is moving relative to a stationary clock, while lagging clock time refers to the time measured by a stationary observer relative to a moving clock.

2. How do leading and lagging clock times affect the measurement of time in Lorentz Transforms?

In Lorentz Transforms, the measurement of time is affected by the relative velocity between two frames of reference. When an observer moves at high speeds, their clock will experience time dilation, causing it to run slower compared to a stationary clock. This leads to a difference in the measurement of clock times, with the moving observer measuring a leading clock time and the stationary observer measuring a lagging clock time.

3. Can leading and lagging clock times be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the concept of leading and lagging clock times can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those observed in particle accelerators. The most well-known example of this phenomenon is the famous "twin paradox", where one twin who travels at high speeds will experience time dilation and age slower than the other twin who remains stationary.

4. How are leading and lagging clock times calculated in Lorentz Transforms?

Leading and lagging clock times can be calculated using the formula t' = t/√(1-v^2/c^2), where t' is the measured time by the moving observer, t is the measured time by the stationary observer, v is the relative velocity between the two frames of reference, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the time dilation effect caused by the relative velocity.

5. What are some practical applications of leading and lagging clock times in Lorentz Transforms?

The concept of leading and lagging clock times in Lorentz Transforms has many practical applications, including in the fields of GPS technology, particle accelerators, and space travel. In GPS, the clocks on satellites have to be adjusted for time dilation effects in order to accurately measure the position of objects on Earth. In particle accelerators, the precise measurement of leading and lagging clock times is crucial for accurately measuring the speeds of particles. And in space travel, the effects of time dilation must be taken into account for accurate navigation and communication between spacecraft and Earth.