LC circuit with variable capacitor

In summary: MHz, and a variable capacitor with a capacitance range from 300pF to 284pF. When the capacitor is reduced to 284pF, the current is at 0.707 of its maximum value. The task is to find the inductance and resistance of the inductor, as well as the Q factor at 1MHz. The phasor diagrams for both conditions should also be sketched.
Piano man

Homework Statement

A constant voltage at a frequency of 1MHz is maintained across a circuit consisting of an inductor in series with a variable capacitor. When the capacitor is reduced from 300pF to 284pF, the current is 0.707 of its maximum value. Find
(i) the inductance and the resistance of the inductor, and
(ii) the Q factor of the inductor at 1MHz. Sketch the phasor diagram for each condition.

Homework Equations

[tex] \omega=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} //
v_L=L\frac{di}{dt} //
v_C=\frac{q}{C}
[/tex]
Probably a load of other formulae as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Kirchoff, get [tex]L\frac{di}{dt} + \frac{q}{300*10^{-12}}=0[/tex] for the first case and [tex]0.707L\frac{di}{dt}+\frac{0.707it}{284*10^{-12}}=0[/tex] for the second.
Equating the two, I'm still left with i and t and a feeling that I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Any help would be appreciated - it's ages since I've done these type of questions.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you take into account the voltage generated by the resistance of the inductor?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this problem as stated gives insufficient info.

As a matter of fact, one solution is Q = infinity, L = (√2/wC1 - 1/wC2)/w(√2-1) H

where C1 = 300 pF, C2 = 284pF, R = 0 and w = 2pi*1 MHz.

As Spinnor indicates, the same conditions can obtain when R (and therefore Q) are finite. What has to be specified in addition to the above is the phase of the current i0/√2. I happen to have picked 180 deg. I suppose one could object that I went from 0 to 180 which is -0.707i0 but remember if the detuning is to be ascribed to a finite Q, i0/√2 is not in phase with i0 either ... out 45 deg in fact.

Related to LC circuit with variable capacitor

1. What is an LC circuit with variable capacitor?

An LC circuit with variable capacitor is an electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. The capacitor in this circuit can be adjusted to change its capacitance, which affects the overall behavior of the circuit.

2. How does a variable capacitor affect an LC circuit?

The capacitance of a variable capacitor in an LC circuit affects the resonant frequency of the circuit. As the capacitance increases, the resonant frequency decreases, and vice versa. This means that the circuit will oscillate at different frequencies depending on the value of the variable capacitor.

3. What is the purpose of using a variable capacitor in an LC circuit?

The main purpose of using a variable capacitor in an LC circuit is to tune the circuit to a specific frequency. By adjusting the capacitance, the resonant frequency of the circuit can be matched to the frequency of an incoming signal, allowing for efficient energy transfer and selective filtering.

4. How does a variable capacitor differ from a fixed capacitor in an LC circuit?

A variable capacitor allows for the adjustment of its capacitance, while a fixed capacitor has a set capacitance value. This means that a variable capacitor can be used to tune the circuit to different frequencies, while a fixed capacitor limits the circuit to a specific frequency.

5. What are some real-world applications of an LC circuit with variable capacitor?

An LC circuit with variable capacitor has many practical applications, such as in radio frequency (RF) circuits for tuning radio receivers, in electronic filters for signal processing, and in voltage-controlled oscillators for generating stable frequencies. It is also used in radio transmission systems and other wireless communication technologies.