LC circuit, space between dielectric plates

In summary, the capacitance of the capacitor is 30μF, the inductance is 0.7H, and the energy is 44μJ. The capacitance, inductance, and energy are all measured in Farads. The capacitance, inductance, and energy are also measured in terms of Siemens. The capacitance, inductance, and energy are also measured in terms of Tesla. The capacitance, inductance, and energy are also measured in terms of microwatts. The capacitance, inductance, and energy are also measured in terms of volts. The capacitance, inductance, and energy are also measured in terms of cm2. The capacitance, inductance, and energy are also measured in terms of
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

If the max E-field in the capacitor is E=1.2(103) N/C and the space between the plates is filled with a dielectric of constant 100,000, what is the separation between the plates?

Homework Equations

I know C=kεoA/d where k is the dielectric constant, A is the area of one of the plates, and d is the separation.

The Attempt at a Solution

So this problem came with multiple parts. Initially we are given the capacitor has capacitance 30μF, the inductor has inductance 0.7H, and the total energy is 44μJ. Its a simple closed loop with no battery. Parts a-e i found that the time for the energy to reach the inductor is 7.2ms, the charge on one side of the capacitor at t=0 is 51.4μC, the current at 7.2ms is 11.2mA, the inductor has length 4cm, radius 2.8cm, and 3010 turns, and the B-field in the inductor is 1.06mT.

The question I'm asking about is part f...the next part g asks for the area of one of the plates.
I just simply don't see how there is enough information to deduce either the space between the plates or the area of one. The equation above shows that that means there is two unknowns.
Seeing as we are given the E-field strength, I thought we could maybe use

E=σ/kεo,

I solve for σ, and plugged in everything else, and the value I got out for σ was 1.06. The same value I got for the B-field strength...I'm just not really sure where to go with any of this, been stuck for a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the maximum potential difference Vmax between the plates of the capacitor? If so, then you can find the distance d between the plates using a relationship among Vmax, Emax, and d.

Ahhhh thank you. I wasn't aware there was a way a could find the potential difference in the plates. Now I found the separation, and in turn the area. I appreciate the help!

Related to LC circuit, space between dielectric plates

What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can store and release energy at a specific resonant frequency.

How does an LC circuit work?

An LC circuit works by using the inductor and capacitor to store and release energy in the form of an oscillating electric current. The inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. As the energy is transferred back and forth between the inductor and capacitor, the circuit can sustain an oscillating current.

What is the purpose of the space between dielectric plates in an LC circuit?

The space between dielectric plates in an LC circuit serves as the capacitor in the circuit. The dielectric material (usually air or a non-conductive material) between the plates helps to increase the capacitance of the circuit, allowing it to store more energy.

What factors affect the resonant frequency of an LC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an LC circuit is affected by the values of the inductor and capacitor, as well as the physical dimensions and properties of the components. The distance between the plates and the type of dielectric material used can also impact the resonant frequency.

How is an LC circuit used in real-world applications?

An LC circuit has many practical applications, such as in radio receivers and transmitters, electric filters, and electronic oscillators. It is also used in devices such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. Additionally, LC circuits are used in the design of electronic circuits to improve their stability and performance.