LC circuit analysis problems with 2 voltage sources

In summary, the current flowing through the inductor will only be governed by the right side of the circuit. So, for the time constant calculation, we only need to calculate the current going through the 1Ω resistor on the right side.
qpham26

Homework Statement

. In the following transient circuit, assume at t<0, the circuit is at steady state.
Find v0(t) for t>0
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.354.354/p403x403/546839_509413575744829_42997155_n.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that I was suggested to do was to always find iL(t)
so since we have 2 source of voltage. I will be using superposition method.

First let use the 12V source only
Req for the circuit will be: (2||6) + (3+1||3)
Use Req to find the current source due to the 12V and by using current divider rule we can obtain iL(0-)

then move on to the 3V source
at this point, I am having trouble, so when we short out the 12V, will the current just go through the wire where the 12V used to be and skip the right side of the circuit?
but if it is so then iL(0-) for this source will be 0?, which doesn't seem right to me.

ok, assume that we actually figured out the value for iL(0-) then to find iL(∞) we only have to deal with the right side of the circuit.
so iL(∞) will be equal to the current going through the 1Ω ?

and Rth for t>0 will be 3+(1||3) this can be use to find time constant.

so suppose we got our equation for iL(t)
to find Vo(t) we can try to find io(t) from current divider rule
iL(t)= io(t) X (3/4)

and once io(t) is obtained, we multiply that by 3Ω to get Vo(t)

thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
qpham26 said:

Homework Statement

. In the following transient circuit, assume at t<0, the circuit is at steady state.
Find v0(t) for t>0
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.354.354/p403x403/546839_509413575744829_42997155_n.jpg

Homework Equations

Use Req to find the current source due to the 12V and by using current divider rule we can obtain iL(0-)

then move on to the 3V source {24V source?}
at this point, I am having trouble, so when we short out the 12V, will the current just go through the wire where the 12V used to be and skip the right side of the circuit?
Yes.
but if it is so then iL(0-) for this source will be 0?, which doesn't seem right to me.
It is correct. The 12V source, situated where it is, effectively isolates the "right hand side" of the circuit from the "left hand side". Nothing that happens to the left of that supply can change the potential across that supply; it's an ideal source and will source or sink ANY current required to maintain that potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
Yes.
It is correct. The 12V source, situated where it is, effectively isolates the "right hand side" of the circuit from the "left hand side". Nothing that happens to the left of that supply can change the potential across that supply; it's an ideal source and will source or sink ANY current required to maintain that potential.

Right. This is a 'trick' question!

qpham26 said:

The left side of the circuit is isolated from the right side because of the position of the 12V source. The current through the inductor is governed by the right side circuit only, which contains an equivalent resistance (3 + (1||3)).

then to find iL(∞) we only have to deal with the right side of the circuit.
so iL(∞) will be equal to the current going through the 1Ω ?

Yes. You may want to consider if anything has actually changed by opening the switch.

aralbrec said:
The left side of the circuit is isolated from the right side because of the position of the 12V source. The current through the inductor is governed by the right side circuit only, which contains an equivalent resistance (3 + (1||3)).

Yes. You may want to consider if anything has actually changed by opening the switch.

but for t<0, before the switch is open, don't we need to include the 2Ω and 6Ω?

as for calculating the time constant, then we can just remove everything on the left side.

qpham26 said:
but for t<0, before the switch is open, don't we need to include the 2Ω and 6Ω?

If you cut the circuit in half through the 12V source and separated the left side from the right side, then connected two separate 12V sources to each of the two separated halves, nothing would change.

Related to LC circuit analysis problems with 2 voltage sources

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that is made up of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C). These two components are connected in series or parallel and can store energy in the form of an electric field and a magnetic field.

2. How do you analyze an LC circuit with 2 voltage sources?

To analyze an LC circuit with 2 voltage sources, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) to determine the current and voltage in each component. You will also need to use the equations for the voltage across an inductor and the capacitor to solve for the values.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel LC circuits?

In a series LC circuit, the inductor and capacitor are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel LC circuit, they are connected in separate branches. The main difference is in how the components are connected, which affects the overall behavior and response of the circuit.

4. How does the presence of 2 voltage sources affect the analysis of an LC circuit?

The presence of 2 voltage sources in an LC circuit can complicate the analysis, as the sources may interact with each other and affect the overall behavior of the circuit. It is important to carefully consider how the sources are connected and how they may affect the current and voltage in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of LC circuits?

LC circuits have many applications in electronic devices, such as in radio and TV receivers, filters, and oscillators. They are also used in power transmission systems to improve efficiency and reduce losses. In addition, LC circuits are used in scientific research and experiments to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.