Lazi's question at Yahoo Answers regarding the area bounded by two functions

In summary, to find the area between the curves x=y^2 and x=4-y^2, we can orient the coordinate axes and vertical shift the functions to simplify the problem. Using symmetry, we can find the area of a quarter of the shaded region and then multiply by 4. Plugging in the limits of integration and solving the integral, we get an area of (16 sqrt2 ) /3.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find the area between those curves: x=y^2, and x=4-y^2?

Find the area between those curves: x=y^2, and x=4-y^2

the answer should be (16 sqrt2 ) /3

Here is a link to the question:

Find the area between those curves: x=y^2, and x=4-y^2? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Lazi,

I would orient the coordinate axes such that the $x$-axis is vertical, and the $y$-axis is horizontal. To further simplify matters, I would vertical shift both functions down two units, then use symmetry so that we wish to find 4 times the following shaded area:

2hckkl2.jpg

Hence the desired area $A$ is:

\(\displaystyle A=4\int_0^{\sqrt{2}}2-y^2\,dy=\frac{4}{3}\left[6y-y^3 \right]_0^{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{4}{3}\left(6\sqrt{2}-2\sqrt{2} \right)=\frac{16\sqrt{2}}{3}\)

Related to Lazi's question at Yahoo Answers regarding the area bounded by two functions

1. What is the area bounded by two functions?

The area bounded by two functions is the region enclosed between two curves on a graph. It is the area between the two curves and the x-axis.

2. How do you find the area bounded by two functions?

To find the area bounded by two functions, you can use the definite integral of the functions. First, find the points of intersection of the two curves. Then, set up the integral by subtracting the lower function from the upper function and integrating between the points of intersection.

3. What is the formula for finding the area bounded by two functions?

The formula for finding the area bounded by two functions is A = ∫(f(x) - g(x)) dx, where f(x) is the upper function, g(x) is the lower function, and the integral is taken between the points of intersection.

4. Can the area bounded by two functions be negative?

Yes, the area bounded by two functions can be negative. This happens when the upper function is below the lower function over the interval of integration.

5. Is there a graphical method for finding the area bounded by two functions?

Yes, there is a graphical method for finding the area bounded by two functions. You can use a graphing calculator or software to calculate the area between the two curves. Alternatively, you can also use a ruler to measure the area on a printed graph.