Layman's understanding of interactions in string theory

In summary, the string theory, as proposed by B. Greene in his book "The Elegant Universe", aims to unify all interactions and explain their nature. However, it does not currently have an explanation for why particles and strings interact in specific ways, such as two electrons repelling or two quarks attracting. String theory is also unable to predict the particle content of the standard model, but it can calculate interactions under the assumption of large extra dimensions. This is one of many possible string theory-inspired models and does not make predictions from first principles. Ultimately, the first results from the Large Hadron Collider will provide more information on the validity of string theory. Additionally, there is debate among experts on whether particles should be viewed as vibrations on a
Sheyr
Recently I have read some non-technical publication and books on strings (ex. The elegant universe by B. Greene). Greene says that the string theory unifies all interactions and explains their nature.

In fact I haven’t found any explanation why do particles / strings interact. I mean – why do two electrons repel or why do 2 quarks attract strongly? Or why do all particles attract gravitationally?

Does the string theory really clarify the nature of interactions or is it only the mathematical tool for calculations as the quantum mechanics is?

Physics news on Phys.org
String theory as of today is not able to predict the particle content of the standard model. So it cannot predict their interactions, either.

ooh i loved that book; for your first series of question no one knows all work in particle physics basically describes how particles interact with bosons without telling why; for your second question it does clarify interactions in a nonmathmatical way: as the book says, particles interact through the fundamental forces via bosons or particle carriers of the particular force. according to string theory, when an electron(arbitrary particle) emits a photon, a piece of the electron's string breaks off and becomes the photon which can then be absorbed by whatever particle it's interacting with

tom.stoer said:
String theory as of today is not able to predict the particle content of the standard model. So it cannot predict their interactions, either.
That it is not able to predict is true. But that it can calculate the interactions without any further assumption is one of its greatest appeal. We are used to having to somehow "choose" the interactions once the free theory is defined. String interactions however are already in the "free" lagrangian, they just happen to be topological. For instance in
http://xxx.soton.ac.uk/abs/hep-ph/0001166
you will find explicit string corrections to the standard model.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should add the remark that these corrections are derived under the assumption that the extra dimensions are large. So it's not ST, it's "ST +large extra dimensions".

Again, it's one of many possible ST-inspired models, so there's no prediction from first principles.

Let's wait for the first LHC results ...

kashiark said:
ooh i loved that book; for your first series of question no one knows all work in particle physics basically describes how particles interact with bosons without telling why; for your second question it does clarify interactions in a nonmathmatical way: as the book says, particles interact through the fundamental forces via bosons or particle carriers of the particular force. according to string theory, when an electron(arbitrary particle) emits a photon, a piece of the electron's string breaks off and becomes the photon which can then be absorbed by whatever particle it's interacting with

I'm still confused the by these matters. I used to think that what is described above was the accepted way an electron would emmit a photon ie by the string breaking in two. But I've also heard that an electron is the ossilation at the end of an open string and the photon is the vibration onlong the string between the end points.

In this sense one should understand particles as possible modes of vibration on a string. There is only one type of string(or one for each type of string theory). Certainly it seems that gauge particles can be viewed in a stringy picture as vibration modes on a string. But quite how one should view quarks and leptons I am not sure.

I don't claim to know what I am talking about...this is just what i pick up from conversations with string theorists and from laymans books.

well I'm not much of an expert but I've never heard of this and it seems counterintuitive; for instance, if an electron is at the end of the open string and the bosons are along it, where is the particle the electron is interacting with?

kashiark said:
well I'm not much of an expert but I've never heard of this and it seems counterintuitive; for instance, if an electron is at the end of the open string and the bosons are along it, where is the particle the electron is interacting with?

The other end of the string! Yeah it seems a bit weird. But i think the idea goes back to the original idea of strings describing the strong force. The string could be understood as a field line between the two particles. So one is quantizing the field lines or the flux as supposed to the field.

Related to Layman's understanding of interactions in string theory

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of matter and energy by describing them as tiny, vibrating strings. It is considered a potential candidate for a theory of everything, which would unify all the known laws of physics.

What are interactions in string theory?

In string theory, interactions refer to the forces between strings and how they affect each other's motion. These interactions are described by mathematical equations and can manifest as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

How does string theory explain the four fundamental forces of nature?

String theory proposes that the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces) are all manifestations of the interactions between strings. These interactions are described by the vibration patterns of the strings.

Why is it difficult for laypeople to understand string theory?

String theory is a highly complex and abstract concept that involves advanced mathematical concepts and theoretical physics. It also challenges our traditional understanding of the universe, making it difficult for laypeople to grasp without a strong foundation in physics.

What are some real-world applications of string theory?

Currently, string theory remains a purely theoretical concept and has not yet been proven experimentally. However, some scientists believe that it could potentially lead to breakthroughs in areas such as quantum computing, understanding the origins of the universe, and possibly even the development of new technologies.