Laws of area and conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the formula for dtheta in the laws of area. The formula is derived by differentiating theta, and can also be obtained using the parametric method. This formula is well defined and can be used to calculate dtheta regardless of the convention used for assigning angles to points.
almo
i am having problem getting the dθ in the laws of area.

what the textbook states is,
dθ=

xdy-ydx
x2+y2

I can't get the equation..
the only thing i could think of is trigo functions, but i got stuck...
any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
almo,

laws of area and conservation of momentum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am having problem getting the dθ in the laws of area.

what the textbook states is,
dθ=

xdy-ydx
x2+y2

I can't get the equation..
the only thing i could think of is trigo functions, but i got stuck...
any help?

What are you trying to do? What are the "laws of area". What equation are you trying to find? How does the conservation of momentum fit into this?

Ratch

"Laws of Area" is vague, but the formula for dtheta is straightforward.

[itex] \theta = \arctan (y/x)+C[/itex]

Here C is an additive constant that depends on 1. Which region of the plane you are in, and 2. How you assign angles to points in the plane. For example, if you define theta to be between 0 and 2pi, then C=0 for (x,y) in the first quadrant, C=pi in the second and third quadrants, and C=2pi in the fourth quadrant. If you define theta to lie between -pi and +pi, then C works differently. But all that is irrelevant, because even though theta as a function of x and y has some ambiguity, no matter what your convention is for assigning angles to points, dtheta is well defined by the formula:

[itex] d\theta = \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} dx +\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}dy[/itex]

There are ways to derive the formula for dtheta without relying on a formula for theta as a function of x and y. For example, no matter how you assign angles, you have:

[itex] x=r\cos(\theta), \hspace{1cm} y=r\sin(\theta).[/itex]

Use these formulas to calculate dx and dy as linear functions of dr and dtheta (with a basepoint understood to be fixed). You get:

[itex] dx = (x/r)dr -yd\theta,\hspace{1cm} dy= (y/r)dr+xd\theta[/itex].

Multiply the first equation by y, the second equation by x and subtract to obtain:
[itex] ydx - xdy = -(y^2+x^2)d\theta =-r^2d\theta[/itex]
Dividing out the - (r squared) gives you the formula for dtheta.

Last edited:
Thanks vargo!.. I figure out to just differentiate theta, which gives me the equation. I am too use to differentiate something against something else, that I forget about some basic stuff.

The parametric method seems quite confusing when multiplication of x and y is involved though, but its brilliant.

The laws of area and conservation of momentum are fundamental principles in physics that help us understand the behavior of objects in motion. The equation you are struggling with, dθ= (xdy-ydx)/(x2+y2), is known as the differential form of the law of area. This equation represents the change in angle (dθ) of a moving object as it travels along a curved path.

To better understand this equation, let's break it down into its components. The numerator, xdy-ydx, represents the difference in the x and y components of the object's displacement. This difference is multiplied by the inverse of the distance from the origin, (x2+y2), which represents the magnitude of the object's displacement.

In simpler terms, this equation tells us that the change in angle of a moving object is directly proportional to the difference in its horizontal and vertical displacements, and inversely proportional to the distance it travels from the origin. This is important because it helps us understand how objects move along curved paths and how their velocities change.

As for the use of trigonometric functions, they can be helpful in visualizing the relationship between the different components of the equation. For example, we can use the sine and cosine functions to represent the x and y components of the object's displacement, respectively. However, it is not necessary to use these functions to solve the equation.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the meaning of the equation and its relevance in the laws of area and conservation of momentum. Keep practicing and seeking guidance if you are still struggling to understand it. As a scientist, it is important to persist in the face of challenges and continue to seek understanding. Good luck!

Related to Laws of area and conservation of momentum

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system, before and after an event, remains constant. In other words, the total amount of momentum in a system does not change, it is conserved.

2. What is an example of the law of conservation of momentum in action?

A classic example of the law of conservation of momentum is a game of pool. When a cue ball hits a stationary ball, the cue ball's momentum is transferred to the stationary ball, causing it to move. The total momentum before and after the collision remains the same.

3. How does the area affect the conservation of momentum?

The area does not directly affect the conservation of momentum. The law of conservation of momentum only takes into account the total momentum of a system, not the individual areas or masses of the objects involved.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in terms of the conservation of momentum?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy and the total momentum of a system are conserved. In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy is not conserved, but the total momentum is still conserved. This means that the objects involved in an inelastic collision may stick together or deform, but the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same.

5. Is the law of conservation of momentum always applicable?

Yes, the law of conservation of momentum is always applicable. It is a fundamental law of physics that has been proven to hold true in all observed systems, from subatomic particles to celestial bodies.