Most Common Evolutionary Mistake

• Thread starter LogicalAtheist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, there are two common mistakes that people make when discussing evolution. The first is assuming that evolution has something to do with the origin of life on Earth, when in fact it only deals with the changes that occur within existing life forms. The second mistake is defining evolution as the process by which one species breeds a new species, when it is actually a result of a series of evolutionary agents acting on a population over time. These agents have been proven to exist in every niche and ecosystem on the planet and are not up for scientific debate. It is important to understand that evolution is not a linear process but rather a series of trials and errors, leading to the main result of the creation of new species. However, the word "evolution"
LogicalAtheist
Due to a comment made in another section, I felt the need to post this information to clear up the most common error people who don't know what evolution is, make about evolution.

MISTAKE ONE:

Evolution makes no comment, statement, or hypothesis about the origin of life on this planet. So many of those unfamiliar with evolutionary theory make this mistake.

Evolution is a populus of evolutionary agents, the most common of which is natural selection. Each agent that is widely considered part of evolution has long since been proven in every niche, species, and ecosystem on this planet. They're certainly not up for much scientific debate UNLESS you're attempting to rewrite the entire backbone of BIOLOGY. And as they say:

"Outrage claims require outrage evidence". So, don't dare. I wouldn't

So, don't make the mistake of using the origin of earthly life against evolution. Evolutions deals only with what happens to the life, not how it began.

The origin of life on this planet is an entire different entity of discussion. There are many theories of which none are hard and fast. It's certainly open to ideas.

MISTAKE TWO:

Evolution is not "the process by which one species breeds a new species". This is merely a result of evolution.

Many dictionary definitions do define it as this. I wouldn't say they're "wrong", but they're indeed focusing on the result of evolution rather than what it is itelf.

As stated, it's a series of agents, all of which have been found to exist in every niche and ecosystem on this planet.

At certain points, a given species changes "evolves, meaning its being changes by evolutionary agents" to the point where it can't reproduce successfully with the rest of what once was a population.

The details and terminology here I can define if needed, otherwise it's not so important.

The important thing to know is changing of a population into one or more new species is the MAIN RESULT of evolution. But it's not the most common result. Indeed with every newborn evolution has occurred, yet only after millions of years does a new species arise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
yet only after millions of years does a new species arise.

That only true for "macro"-organism, micro-organism take less years to create a new species. To be more logical, you should of stated your measument in generations rather than years. Micro and macro organism take roughly the same number of generation to create a "new" species.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
Due to a comment made in another section, I felt the need to post this information to clear up the most common error people who don't know what evolution is, make about evolution.

MISTAKE ONE:

Evolution makes no comment, statement, or hypothesis about the origin of life on this planet. So many of those unfamiliar with evolutionary theory make this mistake.

Evolution is a populus of evolutionary agents, the most common of which is natural selection. Each agent that is widely considered part of evolution has long since been proven in every niche, species, and ecosystem on this planet. They're certainly not up for much scientific debate UNLESS you're attempting to rewrite the entire backbone of BIOLOGY. And as they say:

"Outrage claims require outrage evidence". So, don't dare. I wouldn't

So, don't make the mistake of using the origin of earthly life against evolution. Evolutions deals only with what happens to the life, not how it began.

The origin of life on this planet is an entire different entity of discussion. There are many theories of which none are hard and fast. It's certainly open to ideas.

MISTAKE TWO:

Evolution is not "the process by which one species breeds a new species". This is merely a result of evolution.

Many dictionary definitions do define it as this. I wouldn't say they're "wrong", but they're indeed focusing on the result of evolution rather than what it is itelf.

As stated, it's a series of agents, all of which have been found to exist in every niche and ecosystem on this planet.

At certain points, a given species changes "evolves, meaning its being changes by evolutionary agents" to the point where it can't reproduce successfully with the rest of what once was a population.

The details and terminology here I can define if needed, otherwise it's not so important.

The important thing to know is changing of a population into one or more new species is the MAIN RESULT of evolution. But it's not the most common result. Indeed with every newborn evolution has occurred, yet only after millions of years does a new species arise.

I have to point out your mistaken use of the word "Evolutionary" in your sub-heading. In fact the whole sub-heading makes no sense whatsoever.

Here it is again for your own critical analysis:

"Most Common Evolutionary Mistake"

what are you trying to say here?

When I read the rest of your claims they still do not live up to the task of explaining your sub-heading.

In fact, all of evolution is based on mistakes... trials and errors... so, I expected your following dissertation to address that fact... the most common evolutionary trials and errors.

But, all you've addressed is the few, meandering people that think evolution has to do with the origin of life... when it only has to do with the origin of species. You have also neglected to mention this fact.

However... the word "evolution" can be used metaphorically to describe non-biological processes... like combinations of minerals or molecules or atoms that have "evolved" to a point where they resemble simple amino acids, neucleotids and proteins... this "evolution" of inanimate, non-biological materials toward a form of life can be referred to as an evolution... in metaphorical terms... and the results of this "evolution" is called life. And life, as we all know, continues to evolve... in the manner that seems prevailent in our relativistic universe.

"There are no mistakes."
Rock Hudson

"Words can only complicate the task."
Collective Soul

Last edited:

What is the most common evolutionary mistake?

The most common evolutionary mistake is when a species evolves traits that are not beneficial for their survival or reproduction.

Why do species make evolutionary mistakes?

Evolution is a random process and mistakes can occur due to genetic mutations or environmental changes. These mistakes can either be beneficial, neutral, or harmful for a species.

Can evolutionary mistakes be corrected?

Yes, evolutionary mistakes can be corrected through natural selection. If the mistake is beneficial, it will be passed down to future generations. If it is harmful, the individual with the mistake may not survive or reproduce, preventing the mistake from being passed down.

What are some examples of evolutionary mistakes?

One example of an evolutionary mistake is the evolution of flightless birds on islands where there are no predators. Another example is the loss of eyesight in cave-dwelling animals due to lack of light.

Is making an evolutionary mistake always detrimental?

No, making an evolutionary mistake can sometimes lead to new adaptations that are beneficial for a species. For example, the evolution of feathers in dinosaurs was initially a mistake, but it eventually led to the ability to fly in birds.