Law of conservation of energy problem [reupload]

In summary: If it is less, then the total mechanical energy of the system decreases. If it is greater, then the total mechanical energy of the system increases.
Kianlos

Homework Statement

THIS PROBLEM CONSISTS OF NOTHING MORE THAN WHAT IS BEING STATED (NO VALUES, NO EQUATIONS, NOTHING) THIS IS A WORD PROBLEM WHERE NO CALCULATIONS ARE TO BE MADE: A mass hangs from a vertical spring and is initially at rest. A person then pulls down on the mass, stretching the spring. Does the total mechanical energy of this system increase, decrease or stay the same? Explain.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i said was the total mechanical energy of the system is constant, meaning that it stays the same (I believe this is so because one is decreasing the gravitational potential energy of the body whilst increasing the elastic potential energy such that the total mechanical energy is kept constant)

Is that right? If not, please explain to me where my interpretation of the problem has come to faults with the correct answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kianlos.

Is the person who pulls down on the spring considered to be part of the system? Where did the energy come from for him to pull down the spring? It wasn't potential energy already associated with the rock, otherwise the rock would have stretched the spring further.

If the person let's go of the spring after stretching it, what happens? Would the rock return to its previous rest position and stop there?

gneill said:
Hi Kianlos.

Is the person who pulls down on the spring considered to be part of the system? Where did the energy come from for him to pull down the spring? It wasn't potential energy already associated with the rock, otherwise the rock would have stretched the spring further.

If the person let's go of the spring after stretching it, what happens? Would the rock return to its previous rest position and stop there?
The person who pulls down on the spring is considered not to be part of the system (the system only consists of the spring and the mass)... Okay, if it wasn't potential energy already associated with the rock then can I just go on to say that the total mechanical energy of this system increases instead? I say this because if the object is initially at rest and we are not to factor in gravitational potential energy and are to pull upon the said object bringing about some form of stretch, is it just safe to say that the total mechanical energy of the system increases?

Kianlos said:
The person who pulls down on the spring is considered not to be part of the system (the system only consists of the spring and the mass)... Okay, if it wasn't potential energy already associated with the rock then can I just go on to say that the total mechanical energy of this system increases instead? I say this because if the object is initially at rest and we are not to factor in gravitational potential energy and are to pull upon the said object bringing about some form of stretch, is it just safe to say that the total mechanical energy of the system increases?
Gravitational potential energy is a factor. What @gneill and @Kianlos are trying to get you to consider is whether the change in gravitational potential energy is the same, greater than or less than the change in potential energy in the spring.

Likes gneill

Related to Law of conservation of energy problem [reupload]

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to problem solving?

The law of conservation of energy can be used to solve problems by applying the principle that the total energy before a transformation must be equal to the total energy after the transformation. This allows us to calculate unknown energies or variables in a system.

3. What types of energy are included in the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy includes all forms of energy, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, chemical, and nuclear energy. It also includes the energy associated with electromagnetic radiation, such as light and heat.

4. Can the law of conservation of energy be violated?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all physical phenomena. If it appears that energy is being created or destroyed, it is likely due to a misunderstanding of the system or a lack of accounting for all forms of energy.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to other laws of physics?

The law of conservation of energy is closely related to other fundamental laws of physics, such as the laws of thermodynamics and the law of conservation of mass. It also plays a role in the understanding of motion (Newton's laws) and electricity and magnetism (Maxwell's equations).