Launching Blocks up Ramps- Velocity and Height

In summary, a 3.2 kg wood block is launched up a 20° inclined wooden ramp with an initial speed of 8 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction for wood on wood is 0.20. Part (a) asks for the vertical height the block reaches above its starting point, and part (b) asks for the speed when it slides back down to its starting point. To solve this problem, you can draw a force diagram and use the equations Delta-x= V0*t + .5a(t^2), Vf^2= V0^2 + 2ax, Vf= V0 + at, and F=Ma. However, an alternative approach would be to consider the component
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

A 3.2 kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a 20° angle. The block's initial speed is 8 m/s. (Use µk = 0.20 for the coefficient of kinetic friction for wood on wood.)
(a) What vertical height does the block reach above its starting point?
_____m

(b) What speed does it have when it slides back down to its starting point?
_______m/s down the ramp

Homework Equations

Delta-x= V0*t + .5a(t^2)
Vf^2= V0^2 + 2ax
Vf= V0 + at
F=Ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand one aspect of this problem, which I think is the thing that is throwing everything else off. I began by drawing a force diagram and then a horizontal vs. vertical table with initial and final veloctiy, delta-x, acceleretion, and time. We can find the vertical and horizontal inital velocity because we are given the angle and the inital velocity.

Initial Vertical- 8cos20= 2.7362
Inital Horizontal- 8sin20=7.5175

Now here's the part that's throwing me off. I know that to find a) we can say that the final velocity is 0, but wouldn't the acceleration be 9.8? I thought so, but that answer is not correct. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Also, for b), I don't understand why 8 is not the answer. Is it not a law that the velocities will be the same at the same location?

Thank you,

Phoenix

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of taking the components of velocity, take the component of weight of the body along and perpendicular to the ramp. Find the total forces acting on the wooden block.Then apply the conservation of energy to it.

We have not learned conservation of energy yet. Is there another path to take to solve this problem?

Related to Launching Blocks up Ramps- Velocity and Height

1. How does the height of the ramp affect the velocity of the launching block?

The height of the ramp affects the velocity of the launching block by increasing the potential energy of the block as it travels up the ramp. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher velocity.

2. Does the mass of the launching block impact its velocity?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the mass of the launching block does not affect its velocity. The velocity of the block is determined by the height of the ramp and the resulting potential and kinetic energy.

3. How does friction play a role in the velocity of the launching block?

Friction can slow down the velocity of the launching block as it travels up the ramp, as it converts some of the kinetic energy into heat energy. However, the impact of friction may be negligible depending on the surface of the ramp and the materials of the launching block.

4. Can the angle of the ramp affect the velocity of the launching block?

Yes, the angle of the ramp can affect the velocity of the launching block. A steeper ramp will result in a higher velocity as more potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. However, the angle of the ramp should not be too steep as it may cause the block to lose contact with the ramp and not reach the desired velocity.

5. How does air resistance impact the velocity of the launching block?

Air resistance can slow down the velocity of the launching block by decreasing its kinetic energy. This is because air resistance works against the motion of the block, resulting in a decrease in velocity. However, the impact of air resistance may also be negligible depending on the speed and size of the block.