Launching a Potato with a Spring: Solving for the Spring Constant

In summary, a potato canon consists of a 1.2 meter tube with a thin platform inside. The platform has a negligible mass and is attached to a spring. The spring is compressed to a final length of 5 cm when ready to launch a potato. A potato is placed in the tube, touching the platform. This particular potato has a mass of 375 grams and a length of 10 cm. There is an average frictional force of 2.8 N between the potato and the inside of the tube. When the spring is released the potato is launched.
OnceKnown

Homework Statement

A Certain potato "canon" consists of a 1.2 m tube with a thin platform inside. The Platform has a negligible mass and is attached to a spring. The spring is 20 cm long when relaxed, and the spring is compressed to a final length of 5 cm when ready to launch a potato. A potato is placed in the tube, touching the platform. This particular potato has a mass of 375 g and a length of 10cm. There is an average frictional force of 2.8 N between the potato and the inside of the tube. When the spring is released the potato is launched.

1) What is the value of the spring constant such that the potato has a range of 30 cm when fired in the orientation of 40 degrees with respect to the horizontal plane.

Homework Equations

Force of spring = (k)(Δx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about using the formula R = (v^2(initial) * sin2θ)/g
where R is the range. But I'm not exactly sure if using that formula would be correct.

Would that v(initial) be the velocity that leaves the launcher and from there we need to find out what spring constant would give that amount of launch velocity?

I don't know where to begin. Please help.

Does the potato have to end on the same height to use the above formula?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

"Does the potato have to end on the same height to use the above formula?"

Yes, it does.

Hint:

Determine the time of flight needed for the spud to travel 0.30 m in terms of unknown horizontal velocity, Vh, as the spud leaves the tube.

Use this unknown time in terms of Vh as a 'plug in' for the time in the vertical displacement equation. You know the ratio of Vv/Vh due to elevation of tube. This equation will provide you with a hard number for Vh at the moment the spud leaves the tube.

Then use work-energy relations to achieve the velocity as the spud leaves the tube.

Last edited:

Okay. Can you go over on how flight time is calculated for this problem? I've been stuck on that part the most.

Well, you could come to office hours and ask me yourself, or you could do the following...

Rearrange the horizontal equation for range to solve for time. Insert that 't' into the vertical displacement equation and isolate the initial speed. That'll tell you how fast the potato needs to be moving when it leaves the launcher in order to travel the 30 meters.

cheersPS - the relevant equation is already solved for you and presented in chapter 4.

cheersPPS - the range should be 30 meters, not cm...read carefully.

cheers

Last edited:

Hi Professor!

Sorry that I couldn't come to you in person about the problem. Having work on the days where you were free for office hours really clashes in time.

Thank you so much for the help though.

(Pretty shocking to find you on here):shy:

Last edited:

Email me if you have more questions,

cheers

Related to Launching a Potato with a Spring: Solving for the Spring Constant

1. What is the purpose of launching a potato with a spring?

The purpose of launching a potato with a spring is to determine the spring constant, or the measure of the stiffness of the spring, through experimentation and data analysis.

2. How can a potato be used in this experiment?

A potato can be used as the projectile in this experiment because it is a relatively lightweight and easily launched object, making it ideal for measuring the spring constant.

3. What materials are needed for this experiment?

To launch a potato with a spring and solve for the spring constant, you will need a spring, a potato, a ruler, a protractor, a scale, a stopwatch, and a launching device such as a PVC pipe.

4. How do you calculate the spring constant using the data collected?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the weight of the potato by the distance it traveled when launched by the spring. This calculation can be repeated multiple times with different weights and distances to get an average spring constant.

5. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in the launching device, air resistance, and human error in measuring the distance and weight of the potato. It is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average to minimize these errors.