Launch Loop to Space: Questions & Answers

In summary, the author believes that a launch loop to space is possible, but it would require a very high speed and would be very dangerous. He also suggests that it might be better to use pellets rather than a ribbon to achieve this speed.
I3VI5
Hello guys, this is my first post here so sorry if I put it in the wrong section.

I heard the idea of a launch loop to space and thought it was really cool so I wonder why they haven't build it yet.

Now since I'm no physics expert I need some clarifications on the physics in building it.

Before starting let's make the assumption that we can "easily" achieve the necessary speed to send it to LEO.

OK? So here are the questions:

1. If we build a launch loop on sea level, what is the speed it must achieve to get to LEO?

2. If it is propelled in a vacuum tube, then after reaching the needed speed (my guess is 10km/s), can it withstand the impact with air at sea level? If no, at what altitude will it be able to withstand it with the current technology?

3.What is the sonic boom at those speeds?

5. Where is the best place on Earth to build it? (I have 10bn$ ready to invest! :-D )

6. If you were to design one, and money was not an issue (I can provide more than 10 billion if you want! lol), what would it be like?

7. Why haven't they build it yet? I'm tired of going to Bora Bora for vacation, I need something new! lol

Before dismissing the idea or calling me names reflect a bit on it, it won't hurt anyone.

Thanks in advance for all your responses!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why do you assume, before anyone answers, that they are going to be dismissive?

It's a perfectly valid idea, but hopelessly speculative.

Now, have you got anything you want to say that's actually worth talking about?

AJ Bentley said:
Why do you assume, before anyone answers, that they are going to be dismissive?... Now, have you got anything you want to say that's actually worth talking about?

Uh, Do you realize how inconsistent this reply is?

Also, the tech is speculative, but some of his questions (launch velocity, etc.) are perfectly good. If I weren't at work right now :-p I'd do the math. I will when I get home, if no one else has by then.

Of course I do - that was the point of the joke.

As I said, it's hopelessly speculative - that's why I won't be bothering to think about it.

I3VI5 said:
2. If it is propelled in a vacuum tube, then after reaching the needed speed (my guess is 10km/s), can it withstand the impact with air at sea level?

Yeah, I don't think that would be a good idea.

Related to Launch Loop to Space: Questions & Answers

1. What is a launch loop and how does it work?

A launch loop is a proposed method for launching rockets into space using a long, circular track on the ground. The track would be made of superconducting materials and would circulate at high speeds, creating a powerful magnetic field that would propel a spacecraft along the track and into orbit.

2. How would a launch loop be powered?

The launch loop would be powered by electricity, which would be supplied through a combination of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power. This would make it a more sustainable and environmentally friendly option compared to traditional rocket launch methods.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a launch loop?

There are several potential benefits of using a launch loop to send payloads into space. These include lower costs, increased safety, and the ability to launch heavier payloads and more frequently. It could also reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and make space travel more accessible.

4. What are the challenges in building and using a launch loop?

One of the main challenges in building a launch loop is the high cost and complexity of constructing the long circular track and the infrastructure needed to support it. There are also technical challenges in designing and maintaining the track and ensuring the safety and reliability of the system.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with a launch loop?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with a launch loop. These could include environmental impacts, such as the disruption of local ecosystems during construction, and potential malfunctions or accidents during operation. However, these risks can be mitigated through thorough planning, testing, and safety protocols.