How many languages do you speak?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Cartesio
  • Start date
In summary, Ludwig Wittgenstein believed that the limits of one's language also limits their world, as stated in his book Tractus Philosophicus. Some individuals in the conversation agreed with this quote, while others disagreed and argued that mathematics is also a language. Many individuals in the conversation spoke multiple languages, with some mentioning the benefits of being bilingual or multilingual. Some even mentioned specific phrases in different languages. Overall, the conversation was centered around the topic of language and its impact on one's world.

How many languages do you speak?

• English

Votes: 26 96.3%
  • French

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Spanish

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • German

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Chinese

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Arabic

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
Cartesio
'The limits of my language means the limits of my world.'
Ludwig Wittgenstein, 1889-1951: Tractus Philosophicus, 1922

How many languages do you speak? Do you agree with Wittgenstein?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't have to disagree with him on that issue, as he already did that for me, in the Philosophical Investigations :wink:

'The limits of my language means the limits of my world.'
I think it would have been more agreeable if he had used the words 'humor' instead of 'world'.

How many languages do you THINK in?:smile:

It depends on what I'm thinking about, I think. But mostly in English.

The statistical analysis of this question is not great - perhaps there could be more advanced options.

e.g. telling us what percentage speak 4 languages etc.

Hmm... before Alexander gets a chance...

Is mathematics a language?

Originally posted by FZ+

I don't think in language. I think in concepts.

Originally posted by FZ+

No. It uses symbols of other languages, and it is spoken in a variety of different languages.

I speak only english. Author of this poll and another one asking the number of languages one speaks, 1 to 5 or so

I agree with the quote in that communicatively speaking (no pun, and i mean in terms of us being such a communicative species) we find a barrier at language.

But not all the time, like in math etc...

So his quote has it's purpose, but it's nothing better than a quote from eminem, heh

BTW, I speak three languages, and am working on the fourth.

TWO French and English, but don't take me to court in French, I'd lose.

(Thinks in both/either)

Learnt French until 16 and German until 18 at school. Always found languages an interesting and useful subject, and pretty easy to pick up, so I'm usually able to understand most of written German, though my spoken isn't that confident.

Languages should definitely be taught from a much earlier age in UK schools - we lag well behind the rest of Europe.

well i can speak hebrew and arabic and some english

Originally posted by FZ+

gibberish.:wink:

I speak English and Amharic and gibberish. and a little bit of spanish.

mm, i tried to learn latin but got scared, i can understand simple stuff though, but what's simple in latin?

No. It uses symbols of other languages, and it is spoken in a variety of different languages.

not true, maths isn't 'spoken' in a variety of languages, it gets translated into a varitey of languages, '=' is '=', not equals, not egales or anything else, we translate maths into our language to communicate it with more ease. and just because something uses the symbols of another language doesn't mean it isn't an independant language, ie french uses the same symbols as many other languages, but is a language on it's own.

Originally posted by steppenwolf
mm, i tried to learn latin but got scared, i can understand simple stuff though, but what's simple in latin?

not true, maths isn't 'spoken' in a variety of languages, it gets translated into a varitey of languages, '=' is '=', not equals, not egales or anything else, we translate maths into our language to communicate it with more ease. and just because something uses the symbols of another language doesn't mean it isn't an independant language, ie french uses the same symbols as many other languages, but is a language on it's own.

I'll agree on the second point (about the symbols being the same), but I disagree with the first point. Mathematics has absolutely not spoken form, on it's own. Thus, it is not a language.

Originally posted by FZ+

I speak English and Spanish and I think mostly in English. However, when I'm bored or when I don't realize it, I think in Spanish

I Can speak both arabic and english ...

I think most of the time in Arabic , but when I'm involved in english conversations , I realize that I'm thinking in english .
Does this matter ?

* I Read an article one day said that kids that talks two languages or more , have more ability to learn .

English
British Sign Langauge ( YES IT IS A LANGUAGE)
only these two no others I am afraid i coyuld never be bothered to learn any others. but i am going to to greece soon so i may start learning greek

Romanian,English and French...
Romanian is such a simple language...you pronounce exactly as it is written...not complicated rules...straight and simple...but...because of programming...I think maths in english...and this gives me a headache...

Originally posted by FZ+

Actually I think in two languages, norwegian and english, but I think the most norwegian. I speak almost only norwegian, but I write almost only english.

English and French

Three: Spanish, Catalan and English
I grew thinking in spanish, but since a year ago I think in english

Here we go again, in the Netherlands we have to learn Dutch, English, German and French.

So the four languages are basic, and then I will also be able to understand Flemish, Afrikaans just by knowing Dutch.

And then I know Australian, Austrian, Switz, American, Surinaams, Antillian, New Sealandish, Canadian, a few words Hindi and Gujurati (chem co), few words Chinese (ni-hau), etc

Last edited:
few words Chinese (ni-hau)
"ni hau", which means hello, is Manderin, the official language in China.
"nei ho" (Cantonese)
"Guten Tag" (German)
"Hello" (English)
"sa-wa-ni-ka" (Thai)
"Kon-ni-chi-wa" (Japanese)
Well I only know a few words of Japanese, Thai, French, Latin and German.

Fluent in 3 languages, learning another, and know bits and pieces of several others.

Fluent in French, english, cebuano(philippines dialect)

Learning japanese (ohio gozaiomas)

know bits and pieces of spanish, german, italian,tagalog, arabic(I can swear up a storm in arabic) and would like to learn madarin

Hello around the world

english-hello
french-bon jour
spanish beunos dias
tagalog- kamusta ka
cebuano- musta na
japanese-ohio(konnichi wa if you prefer)
arabic- kefalic haiay(informal) or walekam walasalekam(phonetic formal)
italian-ciao mia bella (ok that's just for flair;)
german- guten tag, guten morgen, etc

Still think in english though

Last edited:
Originally posted by Monique
Here we go again, in the Netherlands we have to learn Dutch, English, German and French.

So the four languages are basic, and then I will also be able to understand Flemish, Afrikaans just by knowing Dutch.

And then I know Australian, Austrian, Switz, American, Surinaams, Antillian, New Sealandish, Canadian, a few words Hindi and Gujurati (chem co), few words Chinese (ni-hau), etc

Canadians speak english except for the small population that speaks quebecquois, an informal french.

Originally posted by Zantra
Canadians speak english except for the small population that speaks quebecquois, an informal french.

Yes, and some of the spelling is different then American English, some of the meanings of expressions are different, as Canadians tend towards British English (BE) as well as American English (AE).

Dumb in BE is Mute, in AE it is Stupid, in CE (Canadina English) it is sort of both, or either.

dumb in english is either stupid, thick, idiotic etc or mute depends what context you use it in.

I speak okay Turkish, I can read French a lot bettre than I can speak it as well.

1. How many languages do you speak?

As a scientist, I am trained in the field of science and research and not necessarily in languages. However, I am proficient in English and may have some knowledge in other languages depending on my research and collaborations.

2. Is it common for scientists to be multilingual?

It is not a requirement for scientists to be multilingual, but it can certainly be beneficial in certain fields of research. Many scientists may learn additional languages to better communicate with colleagues or to conduct research in different countries.

3. Do you think speaking multiple languages helps in your scientific work?

It can definitely be advantageous to be multilingual in scientific work, especially if your research involves international collaborations or working with diverse populations. It can also aid in understanding and analyzing research conducted in other languages.

4. How do you learn multiple languages while also focusing on scientific studies?

Learning a new language can be challenging, but it is certainly possible while also focusing on scientific studies. Many scientists may learn languages through immersion programs, online courses, or by attending language classes in their free time.

5. Can you conduct research in a language other than your native language?

Yes, it is possible for scientists to conduct research in a language other than their native language. However, it may require assistance from translators or colleagues who are fluent in the language to ensure accuracy and understanding of the research being conducted.