LaTeX - using the amsmath package doesn't work

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Work
In summary, the person is having trouble with the amsmath package and is unsure of where to save it and if it should be in the same folder as the MikTex app. They also mention getting an error when using the \usepackage{amsmath} command, but later realize they were not putting it before the \begin{document} command. The solution may be found in a forum post from someone with similar issues.
binbagsss
I downloaded the amsmath package and am using the command \usepackage{amsmath} and its not working.

I have used it a few years ago, but can't remember whether I had this problem and what the solution was- I think it's something as simple as saving it in the right place if I recall quickly - should this be the same place where the MikTex(in my case) app is saved, or where I am saving the TexWorks documents?

Also do I keep all documents in the folder for the amsmath pacakge- this it make a difference if I do or not- in my case the download came in a zip folder , which contained a folder called amsmath, which had all the indivudal stuff inside it.thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to give details of your setup. (You don't even mention which OS you are using.)

You'll also have to say more than "its not working." What kind of errors are you getting?

amsmath should be included in MikTex, so you shouldn't have to download and install it yourself.

DrClaude said:
You'll have to give details of your setup. (You don't even mention which OS you are using.)

You'll also have to say more than "its not working." What kind of errors are you getting?

amsmath should be included in MikTex, so you shouldn't have to download and install it yourself.
as I've said the line /usepackage{amsmath} produces the error.

oh i wasn't putting it before begin document, its working now

Likes berkeman

Related to LaTeX - using the amsmath package doesn't work

1. Why am I getting errors when trying to use the amsmath package in LaTeX?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that you have not included the amsmath package in your document's preamble. Another possibility is that there is a conflict between amsmath and another package you are using. It is also possible that you have made a syntax error in your code. Checking for these common mistakes can help resolve the issue.

2. What is the purpose of the amsmath package?

The amsmath package is designed to enhance the typesetting capabilities of LaTeX for mathematical equations and symbols. It provides a wide range of features, including improved alignment, equation numbering, and the ability to define new mathematical symbols.

3. How do I troubleshoot errors with the amsmath package?

If you are experiencing errors with the amsmath package, it is helpful to isolate the issue by removing other packages or code from your document. You can also try compiling your code on a different LaTeX distribution or editor. Additionally, checking the package documentation or searching online for similar issues can provide helpful solutions.

4. Can I use the amsmath package with other math-related packages?

Yes, in most cases you can use the amsmath package alongside other math-related packages. However, there may be some conflicts between packages, so it is important to check the documentation and test your code to ensure compatibility.

5. Is the amsmath package necessary for all LaTeX documents with math equations?

No, the amsmath package is not necessary for all LaTeX documents with math equations. It is primarily used for more advanced typesetting and formatting of equations. If your document only contains basic math equations, you may not need to use the amsmath package.