Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] LaTeX resizing

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

I posted a reply to this thread, and have found that when the image generated by the LaTeX compiler appears, if the image is too wide, it is simply cut off.

On the forbidden site (MHF), if this happens, the image resizes itself to fit the entire image on the page.

Could this please be applied here?

Thanks

Hayden

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Hi all,

I posted a reply to this thread, and have found that when the image generated by the LaTeX compiler appears, if the image is too wide, it is simply cut off.

On the forbidden site (MHF), if this happens, the image resizes itself to fit the entire image on the page.

Thanks

Hayden
All \(\LaTeX\) compilers will run code off the edge of any document we create. This is just how it operates. Just like when you write a document, you have to be cognizant of over filled horizontal boxes same here. Hacking the system doesn't seem smart. New members or people being lazy may just type long drawn out code that would scale down to be un-readable. If that happens, it would be un-necessary strain on the moderates to fix those post. We have the ability to preview our post before we submit. This feature should be utilized to avoid hfill issues.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Hi all,

Thanks

Hayden
What I found with my browser (Safari, on an iMac) is that if the browser window is wide enough then the whole formula appears. If I make the window narrower then the text wraps but the LaTeX formula does not. Instead, a horizontal scroll bar appears, but it is not set sufficiently wide to enable the whole LaTeX formula to be seen. Even if I scroll as far as possible to the right, the last part of the formula gets cut off. Maybe there is some parameter that can be reset to avoid this happening?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
What I found with my browser (Safari, on an iMac) is that if the browser window is wide enough then the whole formula appears. If I make the window narrower then the text wraps but the LaTeX formula does not. Instead, a horizontal scroll bar appears, but it is not set sufficiently wide to enable the whole LaTeX formula to be seen. Even if I scroll as far as possible to the right, the last part of the formula gets cut off. Maybe there is some parameter that can be reset to avoid this happening?
I cannot reproduce this. Could you please take a screen shot of what's going on for me?

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I cannot reproduce this. Could you please take a screen shot of what's going on for me?
Here is a screenshot of the window. You can see that although it is scrolled all the way to the right, two lines of the LaTeX display have been clipped short.

Screen-shot.png

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Can anyone who was experiencing this issue take a look now? I may have found a setting to stop equations from being clipped due to the window size. The code I found is already running so if it works it should be working now.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Testing.

\[
\binom n p = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots(n-p+1)}{p!}=\frac{k(n-1)(n-2)\cdots(n-p+1)}{(p-1)!}\not\equiv 0 \pmod{n}
\]

Seems to work, at least in the preview.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
\(\displaystyle 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+\)

Yes, now instead of being truncated, it is wrapped. :D

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
That's great news! I stumbled on to this setting while searching for another Mathjax issue. From what I read about the automatic linebreaks is that after you render something, changing the window size can still cause issues as the line breaks are determined when you render. I just now confirmed this too by decreasing my browser window size, and sure enough the Latex output was clipped.

However, overall this is still a great improvement and MHB is more useable for all screen sizes. :cool: