Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] LaTeX renders too slowly during preview

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I don't know whether I am the only person who faces this problem but I think that rendering code takes so much time about 5 seconds at least which is a lot of time !
some time I preview my post lots of times during editing , but I wait until it renders
completely which is quite annoying !

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: Too slow rendering

I think this has to do with the fact that LaTeX is rendered offsite by MathJax. I run into this too when previewing my code, but I think this is something we have no control over at this end.

edit: I am using Firefox 18.0 and Windows 7.

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Re: LaTex renders too slowly during preview

I don't know whether I am the only person who faces this problem but I think that rendering code takes so much time about 5 seconds at least which is a lot of time !
some time I preview my post lots of times during editing , but I wait until it renders
completely which is quite annoying !
Are you using Chrome?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

I use firefox on ubuntu . Not only does work slowly when previewing , it also does so
when opening threads, latex takes some time to render .

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, I also notice a small lag when opening topics, but for me it is much more pronounced when previewing.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

I use firefox on ubuntu . Not only does work slowly when previewing , it also does so
when opening threads, latex takes some time to render .
Try changing your Firefox to using RAM. You wont be able to see history in the url but it should run faster. You don't need to set up a RAM disk for this since this is built into Firefox. Just Google to see how. You will obviously more than 4GBs of RAM but I would say you want at least 8GBs to do it.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I just noticed another VBulletin forum on which I participate renders their LaTeX off-site by MathJax, and I notice the same delay as the LaTeX is rendered.

I've gotten used to it and barely notice it anymore.:D

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I haven't experienced any delay.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I live way out in the boonies, so I have satellite internet which isn't the fastest, so that could be part of it too.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I live way out in the boonies, so I have satellite internet which isn't the fastest, so that could be part of it too.
Latex rendering is solely dependent on Mathjax and their CDN server. We've opted to use the javascript file on their server instead of host it locally for a couple of reasons. Although slow for some, it should actually over all render faster and it saves us costs on the bandwidth. I'm sorry to hear that it's slow though and if it gets out of control I can write their support about it.