Latex Problems: Is Anyone Else Experiencing Issues?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, some posters are having difficulty with how the site is handling Latex. They are having difficulty seeing the WYSIWYG version in Preview Post, editing posts, and seeing the changes that they make. There is a possible maintenance issue that is preventing some users from using the software.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is anyone else finding problems with how the site is handling Latex?

Firstly I tend not to see be able to see the WYSIWYG version in Preview Post. What I see is I think the first formula I wrote which does not change as I edit it. Only when I actually post do I see what it looks like.

Then I when I edit an post the edited version, nothing has changed, or not all my edits appear. I finally get it right just doing the same thing several times, sometimes I may delete some symbols and then put them back. Eventually they have come right for me, but this thing is so cumbersome and annoying I cannot go on using it.

I do not see how it could be my computer, keyboard or whatever. Has anyone else had these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
I delayed answering this until I had tried again. I got no better by using the refresh button. It really is very difficult to make it change from what you first wrote. I think I even saved my post in word, edited it there, deleted my post, went out of PF, re-opened PF, pasted in my modified post - and it still did not take on my edits but seemed to remember my previous post or actually made it a bit worse. It took an unconscionable time. It seems other posters have similar difficulty.

Maybe there is some maintenance problem. I cannot imagine anyone selling or giving software that impractical. I shall use the symbols that I and now several posters have in their sigs. which hopefully will cover most needs, though it is not so good-looking. I did not experience this problem when I previously used tex a few months ago. It is now prohibitive to me in time to edit tex and helpers will not use something that seems to waste their time.

Related to Latex Problems: Is Anyone Else Experiencing Issues?

1. What is causing the latex problems?

The cause of latex problems can vary, but the most common issue is a sensitivity or allergy to latex material.

2. How do I know if I am experiencing a latex allergy?

If you are experiencing symptoms such as itching, redness, swelling, or difficulty breathing after coming into contact with latex, it is likely that you have a latex allergy. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis.

3. Are there any alternatives to latex products?

Yes, there are many alternatives to latex products such as nitrile, vinyl, and polyurethane. These materials are often used in medical settings and can also be found in common household products.

4. Are latex allergies common?

Latex allergies are relatively uncommon, affecting approximately 1-6% of the general population. However, those who are frequently exposed to latex, such as healthcare workers, have a higher risk of developing an allergy.

5. How can I prevent a latex allergy reaction?

The best way to prevent a reaction is to avoid contact with latex products. If you cannot avoid contact, wearing non-latex gloves and having an allergy action plan in place can help minimize the risk of a reaction. It is also important to inform healthcare providers and others about your latex allergy.