LaTeX problem-absolute beginner.

In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of incorrect output in a PDF file when using ionising radiation symbols, specifically \alpha and \beta particles and \gamma rays. The individual is new to this and is seeking help to properly format the output with correct spacing and no italics except for the Greek letters. They also inquire about the presence of money signs.
jameson2
"ionising radiation such as \alpha and \beta particles and \gamma rays" is what i have typed (without quotation marks). But when I build it the pdf output is wrong: it does put in the correct symbols, but it leaves no spaces at all from after the word "as" and puts everything after "as" in italics for some reason.
I'm totally new to this so, it's probably just something small I'm missing.
Could you show me what I should type to get the line to read normally? i.e. no italics except for the greek letters, and proper spacing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are the money signs?

Ah, ok . That works, thanks.

Related to LaTeX problem-absolute beginner.

1. What is LaTeX and why should I use it?

LaTeX is a typesetting software commonly used in scientific and academic writing to create professional-looking documents with complex equations and formatting. It is preferred over other word processors because it separates the content and formatting, allowing for easier editing and better consistency.

2. How do I install LaTeX on my computer?

There are multiple ways to install LaTeX depending on your operating system. For Windows, you can use the MikTeX or TeX Live distributions. For Mac, you can use MacTeX. For Linux, you can install TeX Live through your package manager. Alternatively, you can use an online LaTeX editor such as Overleaf.

3. How do I create a basic document in LaTeX?

To create a basic document in LaTeX, you need to start with a document class (e.g. article, report, book) and then include the necessary commands to set up the document, such as the title, author, and date. Finally, you add your content using LaTeX commands and compile the document to view the output. Many online resources provide step-by-step guides for beginners.

4. How do I add equations and mathematical symbols in LaTeX?

LaTeX has a built-in math mode for creating mathematical expressions and equations. To enter math mode, use the $ symbol. For example, typing $a + b = c$ will produce the equation a + b = c. You can also use LaTeX commands to insert special symbols and mathematical functions. Again, there are many online resources that provide a comprehensive list of these commands.

5. How do I troubleshoot common errors in LaTeX?

Some common errors in LaTeX include missing packages, incorrect syntax, and undefined references. To troubleshoot these errors, you can refer to the log file generated during the compilation process, which will provide information on the specific error and its location in the document. Additionally, searching online for the error message can often lead to helpful solutions from other users.