LaTeX is black with squiggles on my computer

In summary, the conversation discusses possible solutions to a problem with viewing Latex on the Physics Forums website using the Internet Explorer 6 browser. The options suggested include using an alternate browser such as Firefox or Opera, upgrading to Internet Explorer 8, or installing an older version of Opera that can run on Windows 95. It is also mentioned that Latex works with Firefox thanks to a custom hack by chroot. Additionally, it is acknowledged that older browsers cannot be supported forever.
krcmd1
Please advise.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
krcmd1 said:
Please advise.

thank you.
What browser are you using? IE6 has this problem.

Yes, it is IE 6; but it worked a few months ago when I last visited this forum.

A possible alternative to try, not guarunteed, but worth trying:
(It worked with Dial-up) - install an alternate browser, go on line with your normal browser, go to physicsforums, and then open your alternate browser and also go to physicsforums. This is something I tried a few years ago when our internet provider software did not permit certain features of physicsorums to be usable. The use of the alternative internet browser permitted what the normal software did not permit.

Referring to #4 post, upgrading to IE 8 may be better if this is possible.

Thank you I will try another browser for now. I'm afraid some thinkpad software might not work with IE8.

Older browsers can't be supported forever. This issue has come up before. If you switch to a newer browser then Latex should show correctly.

I have never had any kind of problem here since I joined. I've always had the latest version of firefox as my browser.

dlgoff said:
I have never had any kind of problem here since I joined. I've always had the latest version of firefox as my browser.
Latex works with Firefox, but it doesn't work with IE6. Our LaTex here on the forum is thanks to a custom hack by chroot.

The Opera browser will also do. The older versions of the Opera browsers can even run on Windows 95.

Related to LaTeX is black with squiggles on my computer

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and technology.

2. Why does LaTeX appear as black with squiggles on my computer?

LaTeX is a plain text format and does not have its own formatting, so it may appear as black with squiggles when viewed in a regular text editor. It must be compiled into a PDF or other document format to see the proper formatting.

3. How do I use LaTeX to create documents?

You can use a LaTeX editor, such as TeXstudio or Overleaf, to write your document in LaTeX code. The code can then be compiled to produce a PDF or other document format.

4. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

LaTeX may have a learning curve for those who are used to traditional word processors, but once the basics are understood, it is a powerful and efficient tool for document creation.

5. Can I use LaTeX for any type of document?

LaTeX is primarily used for technical or scientific documents, but it can be used for any type of document. It may not be the best choice for simple documents with basic formatting needs.