Electrical Energy and Capacitance

In summary, 55 problems. I was just wondering if someone can help me start off the problem. The rest, I'll try to do because I don't know how to setup the problem.
ScoutFCM
2 problems. I was just wondering if someone can help me start off the problem. The rest, I'll try to do because I don't know how to setup the problem.

55) A virus rests on the bottom plate of oppositely charged parallel plates in the vacuum chamber of an electron microscope. The electric field strength between the plates is 2.00 x 10^5 N/C and the bottom plate is negative. If the virus has a mass of 1.00 x 10^-15kg and suddenly acquires a charge of -1.60 x 10^-19C, what are its velocity and position 75.0ms later? Do not disregard gravity.

Answer: v=1.67 m/s upward
y=6.24cm above bottom plate

59) The immediate cause of many deaths in ventricular fibrillation, uncoordinated quivering of the heart as opposed to proper beating. An electric shock to the chest can cause momentary paralysis of the heart muscle after which the heart will sometimes start organized beating again. A defibrillator is a device that applies a strong electric shock to the chest over a time of a few milliseconds. The device contains a capacitor of several microfarads, charged to several thousand volts. Electrodes called paddles, about 8cm across and coated with conducting paste, are held against the chest on both sides of the heart. Their handles are insulated to prevent injury to the operator, who calls, "Clear!" and pushes a button on one paddle to discharge the capacitor through the patient's chest. Assume that an energy of 300W·s is to be delivered from a 30.0µF capacitor. To what potential difference must it be charged?

Answer: 4.47kV

Physics news on Phys.org
For question 55, you need to find the net force acting on the virus.
You know that the force from the electrical field will cause the virus to go up, since it is negatively charged it will be attracted to the positive plate. It will also be acted upon by gravity pulling it down.
Net Force = (E field Force) - (Force of Gravity)
F = qE - mg

Once you have this force, you know that F=ma. Manipulate this to solve for a:
a=F/m will give you the acceleration of the virus.

Now use kinematic equations to solve for the final velocity and final position after 75.0ms.
Vf=Vi + a(t) for final velocity
Yf=Yi + Vi(t) + .5a(t)^2

Try it and let us know what you get.

I will try to get to your second question later.

Originally posted by ScoutFCM
59) ... Assume that an energy of 300W·s is to be delivered from a 30.0µF capacitor. To what potential difference must it be charged?
You need to know the energy stored in a charged capacitor. This can be expressed as function of the capacitance and the voltage. Look it up.

55)

F = (2x10^5 N/C)(1.6x10^-19) - (9.8m/s^2)(1 x 10^-15) = 2.22x10^-14N

a = 2.22x10^-14N/(1x10^-15kg) = 22.2m/s^2

Vf=(22.2m/s^2)(.075s) = 1.67 m/s upward

Yf= .5(22.2m/s^2)(.075s)^2= .0624m = 6.24cm

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

Good job, looks like you nailed 55.

How about 59?

Originally posted by paul11273
How about 59?
Doc Al already told you. There is a formula that you can look up. It literally gives you exactly the energy stored in a cap given the capacitance and voltage on the cap. You should assume, given the way the question was stated, that all of the energy is used.

Doc Al already told you.

Right...thanks...except my question was directed towards ScoutFCM who originally started this post. Scout posted his/her solution for #55, so I wanted to know if he/she got #59 as well.

Originally posted by paul11273
...except my question was directed towards ScoutFCM who originally started this post.
Oh, sorry about that. I need to start paying more attention.

1. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is the energy that is associated with the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, through a conductor. It is a form of potential energy that can be converted into different forms of energy, such as light, heat, or mechanical energy.

2. How is electrical energy generated?

Electrical energy is typically generated through the conversion of other forms of energy, such as chemical energy in a battery, mechanical energy in a generator, or nuclear energy in a power plant. These processes involve the movement of charged particles, which creates an electrical potential difference between two points.

3. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is measured in farads (F) and is determined by the geometry and material properties of the system. A higher capacitance means that the system can store more charge for a given potential difference.

4. How does capacitance affect electrical circuits?

In electrical circuits, capacitance can affect the flow of current and the behavior of the circuit. For example, a capacitor can store and release electrical energy, which can smooth out fluctuations in voltage and current. Capacitance can also create a time delay in circuits, as it takes time for the capacitor to charge and discharge.

5. What are some real-world applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has many practical applications, such as in electronic devices like radios, televisions, and computers. It is also used in power grids to improve efficiency and stability. Capacitors are also commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted signals and to store energy for short bursts of power, such as in camera flashes and defibrillators.