Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] LaTeX In Thread Titles

Prakhar

MHB Ambassador
MHB Ambassador
Mar 18, 2015
I recently noticed that MathJax doesn't work in thread titles and that does not look nice. For example, this thread. I agree that if someone inserts a fraction (or something big) into a thread title, it may not look nice, but then its size can be reduced instead of displaying the \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\) code.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012

Prakhar

MHB Ambassador
MHB Ambassador
Mar 18, 2015
Please see rule #4 here (click on the Expand button on top).
But people don't follow that and so, it doesn't look nice. At least someone who can edit thread titles of others can correct it then.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
But people don't follow that and so, it doesn't look nice. At least someone who can edit thread titles of others can correct it then.
Yes, we do occasionally get primarily newer users who just aren't aware of our policy against using $\LaTeX$ in thread titles, and so we took measures to ensure that it simply cannot be done. It causes unnecessary strain on our server and makes thread titles less searchable.

I have edited the thread title you found, and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. (Yes)

We do edit thread titles as needed, but sometimes one will get by us. In the future, if you see a thread title that should be changed (or any other issue with a thread), just use the "Report Post" feature on the first post of the thread to call it to the attention of the staff, and we will take care of it. If the issue is with a particular post, then of course use the "Report Post" feature for that post. :D