Latex: How to Create Line Breaks at 1.5cm Margin

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter math771
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Line
In summary, the question is regarding line breaks in inline math expressions and the issue is that the brackets seem to prevent the automatic line break. The solution may involve using relation or binary operation symbols at the outer level of the formula or using the \linebreak command in math mode. Additional resources and solutions can be found on websites such as Stack Overflow.
math771
I'm writing a large set, and the brackets seem to prevent the automatic line break. How do I work around this? I would like to have the line break be even with my margin of 1.5cm.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear exactly what the situation is - are you talking about an inline math expression? It's really helpful when you post these questions to provide a minimal example demonstrating the problem.

LATEX can break an inline formula only when a relation symbol (=, >,
>, ...) or a binary operation symbol (+, -, ...) exists and at least
one of these symbols appears at the outer level of a formula. Thus $a+b
+c$ can be broken across lines, but ${a+b+c}$ not.
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/latexusersgroup/B2r_Pt6TglY/discussion" I don't believe that its the Set brackets preventing the line break (unless you're using \left\{ \right\}) as \{ \} is very different from { }.

I'm not sure if \linebreak[num] works in inline math mode... but it's worth trying. You should read http://www.personal.ceu.hu/tex/breaking.htm

There's a variety of solutions presented at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1703867/latex-how-to-put-line-break-in-a-math
I'm sure that you can adapt one of them to your problem.

Post here (with a minimal example) if you have problems implementing one of the above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Latex: How to Create Line Breaks at 1.5cm Margin

1. How do I create a line break at a 1.5cm margin in Latex?

To create a line break at a 1.5cm margin in Latex, you can use the command \linebreak[1.5cm] or \newline in your document.

2. What is the difference between \linebreak[1.5cm] and \newline in Latex?

The \linebreak[1.5cm] command specifies a specific line break at a 1.5cm margin, while \newline simply starts a new line without specifying the margin.

3. Can I adjust the margin for line breaks in Latex?

Yes, you can adjust the margin for line breaks in Latex by using the \linebreak[x] command, where x is the desired margin in centimeters.

4. How do I insert multiple line breaks at a 1.5cm margin in Latex?

To insert multiple line breaks at a 1.5cm margin in Latex, you can use the \linebreak[1.5cm] command multiple times or use the \newline command within a \parbox environment.

5. Is there a way to create a line break without changing the current margin in Latex?

Yes, you can create a line break without changing the current margin in Latex by using the \linebreak command without specifying a margin, or by using the \newline command within a \parbox environment.