LaTex expressions running over following text

In summary, the problem with latex expressions running over the text that follows them is intermittent and browser specific. Firefox and Mozilla are affected, but not Opera. Setting the math renderer to HTML-CSS fixes the problem in Firefox.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In the past few weeks, I have occasional trouble with my latex expressions (using the itex tag) running over the text that follows them. I also see this in some posts by others. Is there a good way to avoid this? Is it a browser specific problem? ( Mozilla and Firefox are mine.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm using Firefox too, but I haven't seen that problem. Can you link to a post that looks messed up in your browser?

An example would be posts in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=588426

I wonder if it only happens at certain font sizes. My font size is set so the full length of the page doesn't appear at one time. (I don't know how to report the numerical font setting. Is it in one of the configuration menus?)

OK, that thread looks fine in my browser. The font size settings in Firefox are on the Content tab in the Options window. But I doubt that this setting matters. Mine is set to Times New Roman, size 16, but what I see at Physics Forums isn't Times New Roman, and probably not size 16. Do you have a non-standard dpi setting for your screen? I noticed many years ago that this will mess up many web pages.

Fredrik said:
OK, that thread looks fine in my browser. The font size settings in Firefox are on the Content tab in the Options window. But I doubt that this setting matters. Mine is set to Times New Roman, size 16, but what I see at Physics Forums isn't Times New Roman, and probably not size 16. Do you have a non-standard dpi setting for your screen? I noticed many years ago that this will mess up many web pages.

Firefox for me also. Is your Advanced Font option "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above" checked? That may be what Stephen needs to select.

Yes, that one is checked in my Firefox.

Looks fine in Chrome.

Using Firefox 11. It looks fine until I zoom the text to a pretty large size: (Ctrl + / Ctrl Mousewheel)

That's with the Math Renderer set to MathML. Set to HTML-CSS, there is no problem.

Right-click an expression > Math Settings > Math Renderer

Try HTML-CSS and see if the problem persists. SVG seems to work as well.

I have the option to allow pages to use their own fonts checked.

I'm using Firefox in Linux, Fedora Core 12, not Windows.

This problem only appeared within the past few weeks and it does not happen with every LaTex expression.

If I can figure out how to attach a screenshot to this post, I'll show an example.
(Either I failed to attach it 3 times or there will be 3 attachments of the same eaxmple.)

OK, I found the posts that say the "load from file" feature of the image attachment interface doesn't work. So I uploaded the image to an image server.

The LaTex looks fine in Opera. It's Firefox that has the problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 310
Jimmy said:
Right-click an expression > Math Settings > Math Renderer

Try HTML-CSS and see if the problem persists. SVG seems to work as well.

Thank's for that advice. It setting was to HTML-CSS. When I try the SVG renderer, it displays the LaTex correctly.

By the way, what am I doing when I pick a math renderer? Am I selecting a software package on my local machine?

Stephen Tashi said:
Thank's for that advice. It setting was to HTML-CSS. When I try the SVG renderer, it displays the LaTex correctly.
You're welcome.

Stephen Tashi said:
By the way, what am I doing when I pick a math renderer? Am I selecting a software package on my local machine?
It's all done server-side. Setting a renderer results in the expressions being served in a particular format. Firefox
natively supports MathML and SVG so nothing extra is needed.

http://www.mathjax.org/help/menu/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to LaTex expressions running over following text

1. What is "LaTex" and how is it used in scientific writing?

"LaTex" is a typesetting language used for creating professional and high-quality documents, particularly in scientific fields. It allows for precise formatting and mathematical expressions, making it a popular choice for writing research papers, reports, and presentations.

2. What does it mean when a "LaTex expression runs over following text"?

When a "LaTex expression runs over following text," it means that the mathematical equation or symbol extends beyond the designated space allocated for it. This can happen when the equation or symbol is too long or when there is not enough space for it to fit within the document's margins.

3. How can I prevent "LaTex expressions running over following text" in my document?

To prevent "LaTex expressions running over following text," you can adjust the spacing or font size of the equation or symbol, use line breaks or equations split into multiple lines, or adjust the margins of your document. It is also important to check for any errors in your code or equations that may be causing the issue.

4. Are there any tools or resources available to help with formatting "LaTex expressions" in documents?

Yes, there are various online tools and resources available to help with formatting "LaTex expressions" in documents. These include pre-made templates, forums and communities for support and troubleshooting, and tutorials and guides for beginners. Additionally, most word processing programs, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs, have built-in features for inserting and formatting "LaTex expressions."

5. Can "LaTex expressions" be used in other types of documents besides scientific writing?

Yes, "LaTex expressions" can be used in any type of document that requires mathematical equations or symbols, such as engineering reports, textbooks, or even personal notes. It is a versatile language that can be used for any type of technical or scientific writing.