Why Do Electrons Move: Uncovering the Mysteries Behind Particle Movement

• Thread starter Veral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
Please clarify.In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of electrons and the purpose behind it. The question of "why" electrons move is posed, and various explanations are offered, including the concept of force and interaction. However, the question remains unanswered and the conversation shifts to discussing the nature of reality and the limitations of human understanding. Ultimately, the conversation ends without a definitive answer to the question.
Veral
No one can answer this question. Physicists will tell me that an electron moves based on its energy level. Or some other mumbo-jumbo...
but WHY WHY WHY?
Why do electrons move AT ALL? What is the purpose?
You could say kinetic energy is the trade-off of all the other kinds of energies, but that isn't answering the question- it is only avoiding it.
Movement is something that is unneccessary and meaningless but for some reason, particles MUST move, in order to express the energy that they hold. Otherwise, they wouldn't interact with other forces and wouldn't have mass, spin, position, velocity or any other characteristics necessary to be MATTER.

Still, I must ponder... why do electrons move at ALL??

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps electrons move because otherwise, nothing would happen.

An electron is a charged "particle", being so it feels a force when subjected to an electric field. Thus when a free electron as is created in a CRT feels the field created between the cathode and anode it is accelerated by this force.

When a difference in potential is applied to the ends of a wire the electric field excerts a force which is greater then the force binding an electron to an atom. The condition which exists in a conductor is called an electron gas, there are so many atoms in the outer atomic orbitals that the electrons are essentially "free" and are easily moved by an electric field.

BTW: If you consider everything Physicist say "mumbo jumbo" Why are you asking this question here?

Likes russ_watters
electon moving is just a natural phenomenon
no one can tell you why the natural phenomenon will happen
just like some question why the gravity force exist? why the energy is conservation? why the speed of light is C? etc.
i hope you understand what i say

I say mumbo jumbo only for ****s and giggles, my friend. And even though you happen to spout out much terminology- you still do not answer it. A "force" is the reason for a particle's movement, but what caused this force?
Hmm?? "Force" is the result of interaction, and interaction can only exist with movement.
You have also failed.

Yes, Newton1, I do comprehend what you say. And it is a valid point. Perhaps by projecting human concepts onto the nature of reality, I alter it- but that does not mean that the nature of reality cannot show itself using it's own nature...

From a statistical point of view, electrons move because there is a difference in chemical potentials.

What does that mean?

Basically, things like to settle. If you fart on one side of a room, the stench will spread around until it's evenly distributed. If you have a box separated in two volumes with a wall, and you fill one volume with marbles, when you pull out the divider, the marbles will distribute evenly. If you have battery with an accumulation of charge in one cell compared to the other, when you connect the cells with a wire, the charge will redistribute until it reaches equilibrium... You get the picture.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Veral
No one can answer this question. Physicists will tell me that an electron moves based on its energy level. Or some other mumbo-jumbo...
but WHY WHY WHY?
You could say kinetic energy is the trade-off of all the other kinds of energies, but that isn't answering the question- it is only avoiding it.
Movement is something that is unneccessary and meaningless but for some reason, particles MUST move, in order to express the energy that they hold. Otherwise, they wouldn't interact with other forces and wouldn't have mass, spin, position, velocity or any other characteristics necessary to be MATTER.

You ask for purpose - Science can't answer that. If you want to know *how* it moves then science can tell you that. That's about the extent of it.

Pete

[quoteA "force" is the reason for a particle's movement, but what caused this force?
Hmm?? "Force" is the result of interaction, and interaction can only exist with movement.[/quote] ? Each electron (and most other particles) create an electric field all around them. An electron in an electric field feels an electric force which causes it to move. This is just the way the world seems to work.

If you don't think this is a good enough answer, give an example of the type of answer you're looking for...

A "force" is the reason for a particle's movement, but what caused this force?
Hmm?? "Force" is the result of interaction, and interaction can only exist with movement.
You have also failed.
The electromagnetic force is mediated by virtual photons, which provide the carrier for the interaction. This is what "moves".

I say mumbo jumbo only for ****s and giggles, my friend. And even though you happen to spout out much terminology- you still do not answer it. A "force" is the reason for a particle's movement, but what caused this force?
You have also failed.

Yes, Newton1, I do comprehend what you say. And it is a valid point. Perhaps by projecting human concepts onto the nature of reality, I alter it- but that does not mean that the nature of reality cannot show itself using it's own nature...

It appears to me that your desire is for an argument and not an answer.

Once again a charged particle in a electric field experiances a force the force results in motion. There is no motion necessary.

If you are simply looking for an argument and not an answer I will lock this thread.

Likes russ_watters

Can you be a little more specific? What exactly do you mean by "why" here?

but WHY WHY WHY?

instead of asking people why, why don't you answer it by yourself. if i push you so hard that you fall down, why do you fall down not up? if you can answer my question that i posted in philosophy forum (something or nothing) then you can answer yourself why.

Saying, "no one can know" or that science cannot say "why" is absurd. If scientists thought in this manner, no progress would ever occur.
In my opinion, electrons move because other electrons move, because other electrons move, etc...

No one here (except you) has said no one knows. You have been told what causes electon motion. I believe that this thread is done.

1. Why do electrons move?

Electrons move because they have a negative charge and are attracted to positively charged particles. They also have kinetic energy, which causes them to move randomly.

2. What is the role of electrons in particle movement?

Electrons play a crucial role in particle movement as they are the smallest particles in an atom and are responsible for carrying electrical charge. They also contribute to the overall stability and structure of atoms and molecules.

3. How do electrons move in an electric current?

In an electric current, electrons move in a specific direction due to the presence of an electric field. The flow of electrons creates a current, which can be harnessed to power electrical devices.

4. What factors affect the movement of electrons?

The movement of electrons can be influenced by factors such as temperature, electric fields, and the presence of other particles. For example, higher temperatures can increase the speed of electrons, while electric fields can cause them to move in a specific direction.

5. How do scientists study the movement of electrons?

Scientists use a variety of techniques and instruments, such as electron microscopes and particle accelerators, to study the movement of electrons. They also conduct experiments and simulations to better understand the behavior of electrons in different environments.