If space is expanding how can the electrical properties stay constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the belief that the fine structure constant, which depends on four other constants, may not be constant over time. This could potentially lead to changes in the electrical properties of space. However, this is not firmly established and there is currently no way to confirm or refute these theories.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
edit.
if space is expanding how can the electrical properties
stay constant?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are they?

It is believed that the fine stucture constant is not a constant. That is, it changes over time. This is not firmly established but there are some good indications (i.e. experimental data). Why would that interest me, you wonder?
Well the fine structure constant depends on 4 other constants:
- e: electrical charge
- c: speed of light
- h: Planck's cst
- e0: permittivity of space

[alpha]=e2/2e0hc

So if the fine stucture cst changes over time, one or more of these "constants" has to change. Since it is probably the permittivity of space that changes your question would be answered: they don't...

then i must be confused ,i thought that the 2Ps, governed
the speed of light ,if one of them is changeing how
can C be constant?

Like I said: this is not firmly established. There are also (Australian) experiments suggesting that the speed of light is not constant in time, but in fact slowly decreasing (or was it increasing). The problem is that there are no checks for these experiments yet.

thankyou HEUMPJE

1. How is it possible for space to be expanding and yet the electrical properties remain constant?

It is important to understand that when we talk about the expanding universe, we are referring to the physical distance between objects in space increasing. This does not mean that the fundamental properties of space, such as its electrical properties, are changing. These properties are inherent to space itself and are not affected by its expansion.

2. Does the expansion of space affect the behavior of electricity and magnetism?

No, the expansion of space does not have any direct effect on the behavior of electricity and magnetism. These forces are governed by their own laws and are not influenced by the expansion of the universe.

3. If space is expanding, does that mean there is more space for electricity to flow?

No, the expansion of space does not create new space for electricity to flow. The amount of space available for electricity to flow remains constant, but the distance between objects in space increases.

4. How do scientists study the electrical properties of space?

Scientists study the electrical properties of space through a variety of methods, including observations from spacecraft and telescopes, laboratory experiments, and theoretical models. These methods allow us to understand the fundamental properties of space and how they interact with electricity.

5. Could the electrical properties of space change in the future due to the expansion of the universe?

It is highly unlikely that the expansion of the universe will have any significant impact on the electrical properties of space. These properties are inherent to space itself and are not expected to change, even as the universe continues to expand.