[latex] enumerate list colliding with equation array

In summary, the conversation discusses how to put an equation array inside an enumerated list in LaTeX. The speaker is experiencing errors and wonders if there is a different way to do it or if they should use centering tags for the equation instead. The expert suggests using centering tags, and mentions that they have tested this in a LaTeX document and it worked successfully.
Ai52487963
So I have a list like

\begin{enumerate}

\item asdfasdfasdf

\item asdfasdfasdf

\item \begin{align} equation here \end{align}

\end{enumerate}

I want to put an equation array to center and give some space around the equation, otherwise it looks all cluttered. I keep getting errors saying that the enumerate is being ended by the end of the equation array.

Is there a different way to put an equation array inside an enumerated one? Should I just use some centering tags for the equation instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Works for me. I tested this in a LaTeX document and right here:

[tex]
\begin{enumerate}
\item asdfasdfasdf
\item asdfasdfasdf
\item \begin{align} E=mc^2 \end{align}
\end{enumerate}
[/tex]

Related to [latex] enumerate list colliding with equation array

1. How do I prevent an enumerate list from colliding with an equation array?

To prevent an enumerate list from colliding with an equation array, you can use the enumitem package in LaTeX and add the noitemsep option to your list. This will remove the extra vertical spacing between the items, preventing them from colliding with the equation array.

2. Why do enumerate lists and equation arrays sometimes collide?

Enumerate lists and equation arrays can collide when there is not enough vertical space between them. This can happen if there are too many items in the list or if the equation array is too long. In these cases, the items in the list will overlap with the equation array.

3. Can I adjust the spacing between an enumerate list and an equation array?

Yes, you can adjust the spacing between an enumerate list and an equation array in LaTeX by using the enumitem package and adding the itemsep option to your list. This will allow you to specify the amount of vertical space you want between each item in the list.

4. Is there a way to make an enumerate list and an equation array appear on the same line?

Yes, you can use the aligned environment in LaTeX to place an equation array on the same line as an enumerate list. This will align the top of the equation array with the first item in the list.

5. How do I format an enumerate list and an equation array to look consistent?

To format an enumerate list and an equation array to look consistent, you can use the align environment in LaTeX. This will align the items in the list and the equations in the array, making them look consistent and visually appealing.