Late change major or go for masters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's disinterest in their upper division physics classes and their preference for the more practical electronics class. They question whether it would be better to switch to an electrical engineering major or to finish their physics degree and pursue a masters in EE. The suggested solution is to take applied physics courses for electronics and showcase their skills to potential employers, rather than changing majors. It is also mentioned that electronics companies do not necessarily require an EE degree. The courses offered in the upper levels include dense analog and digital electronics, as well as a condensed matter physics series.
dstnb3
I'm nearing the end of my 3rd year as a physics major and I've become really disinterested in most of my upper division physics classes, which is affecting my grades and causing me hate my classes. I really like my electronics class, probably because of how it is not theoretical (I think I am just tired of theory).

Anyway, my question is: If I was sure that I wanted to work in the electronics industry (R&D or EE, etc) would I be better off switching to EE and spending an extra year to complete the degree, or just finishing my physics degree and spending that extra year to get a masters in EE?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the courses offered in the upper levels? Typically there should be some applied physics courses for electronics related studies, like solid state physics. I think choosing these courses and then starting to work on advertising your skills will be better than changing majors and spend the extra time of catching up the courses you haven't done.

The electronics companies I've approached do realize that physics majors with the right specializations can be just as competent for their positions so have EE majors is not a hard requirement.

Thanks for the response! There are dense analog and digital electronics courses, and there is a condensed matter physics series. I was planning on taking all of the electronics courses that were offered but I hadn't considered taking the condensed matter series.

Last edited:

Related to Late change major or go for masters?

1. Can I change my major later in my undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to change your major during your undergraduate studies. However, it may require taking additional courses or extending your graduation timeline.

2. Will changing my major affect my chances of getting into a graduate program?

It depends on the specific graduate program and the requirements for admission. Some programs may prefer applicants who have a strong background in a specific major, while others may value diverse academic backgrounds.

3. Is it better to change my major or pursue a master's degree?

This decision ultimately depends on your individual goals and circumstances. Changing your major may allow you to explore new interests and potentially save time and money, while pursuing a master's degree may provide advanced skills and knowledge in a specific field.

4. How do I decide which option is best for me?

It is important to carefully consider your interests, skills, and long-term goals when making this decision. You may also want to speak with academic advisors, career counselors, and professionals in your field of interest to gather more information.

5. Can I switch to a completely different field for my master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a master's degree in a different field than your undergraduate major. However, you may need to take additional prerequisite courses or demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge to be admitted into the program.