Lasers: Power and wavelength dependence

In summary, the person is using a 1550nm diode laser and a function generator to send a triangular function into the fast input of the laser. The output power of the laser mimics the input signal, resulting in a triangular function on the O-scope. They want to know if there are any power stabilization techniques that will give them a DC signal on the O-scope instead.
MelioraGator
I have a 1550nm diode laser. I have a function generator sending a triangular function into the fast input of the laser; however, if I am within the bandwidth of the laser (under 10kHz), my output power of the laser mimics my fast input signal, so I get a triangular function on my O-scope with the same Vpp (typically 2V) and frequency. I wanted to know if there are any power stabilization techniques which will give me a DC signal on my O-scope.

Science news on Phys.org
MelioraGator said:
I have a 1550nm diode laser. I have a function generator sending a triangular function into the fast input of the laser; however, if I am within the bandwidth of the laser (under 10kHz), my output power of the laser mimics my fast input signal, so I get a triangular function on my O-scope with the same Vpp (typically 2V) and frequency. I wanted to know if there are any power stabilization techniques which will give me a DC signal on my O-scope.

You are driving the laser diode with an ac drive waveform, and expect a dc output from your photodetector? What am I missing?

Don't use an AC waveform to drive the laser?

Related to Lasers: Power and wavelength dependence

1. What is the relationship between power and wavelength in lasers?

The power of a laser is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the power of the laser also increases.

2. How does the power of a laser affect its performance?

The power of a laser directly affects its performance by determining its cutting, heating, or burning capabilities. Higher power lasers are able to perform these tasks more efficiently and effectively than lower power lasers.

3. Can a laser's power be adjusted?

Yes, the power of a laser can be adjusted by changing the current or voltage supplied to the laser. This allows for more precise control over the laser's output and performance.

4. Is there a limit to how much power a laser can produce?

Yes, there is a limit to how much power a laser can produce. This limit is determined by the laser's design and the materials used to create it. Going above this limit can cause damage to the laser itself.

5. How does the wavelength of a laser affect its use in different applications?

The wavelength of a laser is important for determining its specific use in different applications. Different wavelengths are better suited for specific tasks, such as cutting or welding, and can also affect the material being worked on.