Laser question (Confinement factor and quantum well thickness)

In summary, cthugha explains that carrier transparency occurs when the number of carriers is high enough to balance the effect of stimulated absorption and emission. They also summarize the equation introduced by Mohammad reza Salehi in an IEEE paper, which includes the optical confinement factor, number of quantum wells, and thickness of a single quantum well. They mention that the value of 1000A for d0 comes from the common size of the separate confinement heterostructures used in quantum well lasers. Finally, they express their gratitude for cthugha's helpful response.
oronno
1. What do we mean by the carrier number at transparency. I mean, what is carrier transparency of a laser?

2. in an IEEE paper ("Circuit Modeling of Quantum-Well Lasers for Optoelectronic Integrated Circuits (ICs) Including Physical Effect of Deep-Level Traps" IEEE J. Quantum electronics, vol. 38, No. 11, November 2002 ) by Mohammad reza Salehi,

he introduced an equation,

Gamma = 0.3 * N' * (d/d0)

where Gamma is the optical Confinement Factor, N' is the number of quantum wells of the laser and d is the thickness of a single quantum well. He said, d0=1000A(angstrom). Now my question is, Where does this d0 come from and why did they mentioned that its value is 1000. I looked at the reference of this paper, they did the same. the didn't mention this either that what is d0.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
oronno said:
1. What do we mean by the carrier number at transparency. I mean, what is carrier transparency of a laser?

If you consider a low number of carriers, lasing will not occur because the photons in the cavity will quickly be absorbed due to stimulated absorption and the photon number inside the cavity will be too low to cause efficient stimulated emission. However at higher carrier numbers the effect of stimulated absorption will be small compared to the effect of stimulated emission. The material becomes transparent. Usually the transparency current is defined as the current, where stimulated absorption and emission are exactly balanced.

oronno said:
2. in an IEEE paper ("Circuit Modeling of Quantum-Well Lasers for Optoelectronic Integrated Circuits (ICs) Including Physical Effect of Deep-Level Traps" IEEE J. Quantum electronics, vol. 38, No. 11, November 2002 ) by Mohammad reza Salehi,

he introduced an equation,

Gamma = 0.3 * N' * (d/d0)

where Gamma is the optical Confinement Factor, N' is the number of quantum wells of the laser and d is the thickness of a single quantum well. He said, d0=1000A(angstrom). Now my question is, Where does this d0 come from and why did they mentioned that its value is 1000. I looked at the reference of this paper, they did the same. the didn't mention this either that what is d0.

The optical confinement factor is usually defined as the ratio of the emission profile in the active medium to the complete emission profile in the structure. In QW lasers usually GaAs confinement layers are placed around the QWs (seperate confinement heterostructures). 1000A is a very common value for the size of such a SCH, so I suppose this is where this value comes from.

Last edited:
Dear cthugha,

Thank you very very much for your reply. it really helped me a lot.

Related to Laser question (Confinement factor and quantum well thickness)

What is the confinement factor of a laser?

The confinement factor of a laser refers to the ratio of the light intensity within the active region (where the lasing occurs) to the total light intensity in the entire laser cavity. In other words, it measures the efficiency of how much light is confined and used for lasing compared to how much is lost.

How is the confinement factor related to the quantum well thickness in a laser?

The confinement factor is inversely proportional to the quantum well thickness. This means that as the thickness of the quantum well increases, the confinement factor decreases. This is because a thicker quantum well allows for more modes of light to propagate, resulting in a higher chance of light being lost through the sides of the laser cavity.

Why is a high confinement factor important for laser performance?

A high confinement factor is important because it leads to a lower threshold current for lasing. This means that the laser can start lasing at a lower current, resulting in lower power consumption and increased efficiency. Additionally, a high confinement factor also leads to a higher output power and a narrower emission spectrum, making the laser more suitable for applications requiring high precision and accuracy.

How can the confinement factor and quantum well thickness be optimized in a laser?

The confinement factor and quantum well thickness can be optimized through careful design and engineering of the laser structure. This includes selecting appropriate materials with suitable refractive indices, as well as optimizing the thickness and composition of the layers within the laser cavity. Advanced simulation tools can also be used to model and optimize these parameters for maximum performance.

What are some potential drawbacks of a high confinement factor in a laser?

One potential drawback of a high confinement factor is the increased sensitivity to temperature changes. This can cause fluctuations in the lasing wavelength and output power, which can be problematic for some applications. Additionally, a high confinement factor may also lead to increased optical losses due to scattering and other non-radiative processes, which can reduce the overall efficiency of the laser.