Laser Interference and Diffraction, single and double slit experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about a single slit light diffraction lab using a diode laser with a wavelength range of 630-680 nm. The pattern produced would change if the laser only produced one wavelength, with smaller minima and closer spacing between them. The laser only emits one wavelength in the visible spectrum and the smaller wavelengths would create a pattern with less space between maximum/minimum intensities compared to the greater wavelengths. The green color would be less diffracted and have a higher intensity concentrated near the front of the aperture compared to the infrared waves.
mattpd1

Homework Statement

I did the single slit light diffraction lab. The diode laser we used was 630-680 nm. It produced an image very much like the one on this page:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/fraungeo.html#c1

How does having multiple wavelengths in the laser change the pattern produced? What would it look like if the laser only produced one wavelength?

Before I turn my lab in, I want to make sure I have the right answer...

Homework Equations

L=wave length

y = (mLD / a)

I think the size of the minima (dots) would be smaller, and possibly the spacing between them will be closer together. Can someone clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you misunderstand the meaning of "630-680 nm". There is only one wavelength for the laser, and it is somewhere in that range. The laser does not emit all wavelengths in that range.

I also think your laser had 1 wavelength (at least in the visible spectra). If it had say a wide range of values of wavelengths, the smaller wavelengths would make a pattern that has less space between maximum/minimum of intensities compared to the pattern the greater wavelengths would make.

zetrone said:
I think you are correct. This would explain the "smuged" look I saw on the CD diffraction pattern when using my Night Vision Scope. Two of the dots were close together (the 808nm and 1064nm) while the green naked eye visible 532nm dot was more distant in the series of dots making up the DIFFRACTION PATTERN.

Thanks,

David

I'm not sure I understand fully what you mean. But the green color wavelength would be less diffracted than the infra-red’s ones.
In other words almost all the intensity of the green color would be very close to the front of the aperture while the infrared would have maxima separated by a greater distance than the ones of the green color. And the intensity of infrared waves wouldn't be as much concentrated right in front of the aperture compared to the green color's.

I can confirm that the pattern produced in laser interference and diffraction experiments is highly dependent on the wavelength(s) of the laser being used. In the single slit experiment, the laser's wavelength determines the spacing between the bright and dark fringes, as shown in the equation y = (mLd/a). This means that if the laser produces multiple wavelengths (as in the case of your 630-680 nm diode laser), the pattern will be a combination of the interference patterns produced by each individual wavelength. This can result in a more complex pattern with smaller and more closely spaced fringes.

On the other hand, if the laser only produces one wavelength, the pattern will be simpler and consist of only one set of fringes. The size and spacing of these fringes will also depend on the specific wavelength of the laser.

It is important to note that the pattern produced in these experiments is also affected by other factors such as the size and shape of the slit, as well as the distance between the slit and the screen. These factors can also contribute to changes in the pattern observed.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you in completing your lab. Keep up the good work in exploring the fascinating world of light and its properties!

Related to Laser Interference and Diffraction, single and double slit experiment?

What is laser interference and diffraction?

Laser interference and diffraction are phenomena that occur when a beam of coherent light (such as a laser) passes through a narrow slit or multiple slits. This results in a pattern of bright and dark fringes, caused by the interference of light waves.

What is the single slit experiment?

The single slit experiment involves passing a beam of coherent light through a narrow slit and observing the resulting diffraction pattern. This pattern consists of a central bright spot, surrounded by a series of alternating bright and dark fringes.

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment involves passing a beam of coherent light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern. This pattern consists of a series of bright and dark fringes, with the bright fringes being areas where the light waves have reinforced each other, and the dark fringes being areas where they have canceled each other out.

How does the spacing of the slits affect the interference pattern?

The spacing of the slits plays a crucial role in determining the interference pattern. In the single slit experiment, a narrower slit will result in a wider central bright spot and narrower fringes, while a wider slit will produce a narrower central bright spot and wider fringes. In the double slit experiment, the spacing between the slits will determine the distance between the bright fringes.

What are some real-world applications of laser interference and diffraction?

Laser interference and diffraction have many practical applications, such as in the field of optics for creating diffraction gratings and in holography for creating 3D images. It is also used in interferometers for precise measurements and in the study of the properties of light. Furthermore, it has applications in technology, such as DVD players and laser printers, which use diffraction gratings to read and print information.