Laser Gravity: Can a Laser Pull Gently?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential gravitational tug of a powerful laser beam. It was mentioned that all mass and energy contribute to gravitational fields, but the effect would be extremely small and difficult to calculate. The suggestion was made to research pp wave spacetimes and the concept of "kugelblitz" for more information on the topic.
fishin_kitten
Would the beam of a powerful laser have any gravitational tug?

Science news on Phys.org
Sure. All mass/energy contributes to the generation of gravitational fields. However, it would likely be immeasurably tiny. Why don't you try calculating it?

Likes fishin_kitten
phyzguy said:
Sure. All mass/energy contributes to the generation of gravitational fields. However, it would likely be immeasurably tiny. Why don't you try calculating it?
God I wish I could! I don't have the tools.
Obviously higher frequency and brightness would up the pull. Your answer helped reinforce my thought thanx

You would need to read up on pp wave spacetimes for details.

Likes fishin_kitten
Dale said:
You would need to read up on pp wave spacetimes for details.
I'm on it thanx

Likes Dale
You also might research the theories behind the term, "kugelblitz".

Related to Laser Gravity: Can a Laser Pull Gently?

1. How does laser gravity work?

Laser gravity works by using highly concentrated laser beams to create a gravitational field. The photons in the laser beam exert a force on objects, causing them to be pulled towards the source of the laser.

2. Can a laser really pull objects?

Yes, a laser can pull objects. While it may not seem as powerful as traditional sources of gravity, such as the Earth, the laser's pull is still strong enough to affect objects on a smaller scale.

3. Is laser gravity a new concept?

No, the concept of laser gravity has been around for decades, but it is still a relatively new area of study and research. Scientists are still exploring its potential applications and limitations.

4. What are the potential uses of laser gravity?

Laser gravity has potential applications in space exploration, as it could be used to manipulate objects and spacecraft without physical contact. It could also be used in future propulsion systems or to create artificial gravity in spacecraft.

5. Are there any risks associated with laser gravity?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with laser gravity. One concern is the potential for the laser beam to accidentally pull or push objects in unintended directions. Additionally, the high concentration of laser beams could potentially cause harm to living organisms if not used carefully.