Laser Beam and index of refraction

In summary, a laser beam enters a glass window at a 30 degree angle and travels through the glass at an angle of 46.89 degrees or 43.11 degrees, depending on the method used to calculate it. The index of refraction of the glass is 1.46 and the equation sin theta 1 / sin theta 2 = n2 / n1 can be used to find the angle of refraction.
skibum143

Homework Statement

A laser beam enters a 10.0cm thick glass window at an angle of 30 degrees from the normal. The index of refraction of the glass is 1.46. At what angle from the normal does the beam travel through the glass?

Homework Equations

sin theta 1 / sin theta 2 = n1 / n2 = v1 / v2

The Attempt at a Solution

sin (30) / sin theta 2 = 1 / 1.46
theta 2= 46.89 degrees

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here? I also tried 90 deg - 46.89 = 43.11 deg but that was also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
skibum143 said:

Homework Equations

sin theta 1 / sin theta 2 = n1 / n2 = v1 / v2

No, sin theta 1 / sin theta 2 = n2 / n1. You can also remember it as n1*sin(theta1)=n2*sin(theta2), which I find easier to use.

Ah, I see. Thank you!

Related to Laser Beam and index of refraction

1. What is a laser beam?

A laser beam is a concentrated beam of light that is produced by a laser device. It has a high intensity and a narrow, focused beam that can travel long distances without dispersing.

2. How does a laser beam work?

A laser beam is created by stimulating a medium, such as a solid crystal or gas, with energy. This causes the medium to emit photons, which are then amplified and focused into a laser beam by a series of mirrors and lenses.

3. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much light bends when it passes through a material. It is determined by the speed of light in a vacuum compared to the speed of light in the material.

4. How does the index of refraction affect a laser beam?

The index of refraction determines how much a laser beam will bend when passing through different materials. This is important for controlling the direction and focus of the beam.

5. What factors can affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction can be affected by the type of material, its density, and the wavelength of the light passing through it. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the index of refraction.