Laser Attenuation/Propagation Constants

In summary, the question is asking you to extend the Taylor approximation to higher-order terms in the propagation and attenuation coefficients for a lossy medium with finite conductivity. You will need to consider the second-order terms in the Taylor expansion to derive the next higher-order corrections. To find out how large the power attenuation needs to be for the higher-order corrections to become significant, you will need to solve for the value of sigma/Wе that results in a 10% change in the coefficients. This value can then be converted to units of dB of power attenuation per wavelength of distance traveled.
illidari

Homework Statement

Extending the Taylor approximation to higher-order terms in high-loss materials. Consider a lossy medium having a finite conductivity a but, for purposes of this problem, no laser susceptibility Xt. First-order expressions for the propagation coefficient ft and the attenuation coefficient a for this case are derived in the text by a Taylor-series approximation in sigma/Wе. Extend this approximation to get the next higher-order corrections to both B and a. How large will the power attenuation have to become (in the first-order approximation) before either of these higher-order corrections amounts to 10% of the first-order expressions? Express your answer in units of dB of power attenuation per wavelength of distance
traveled.

Homework Equations

http://books.google.com/books?id=1BZVwUZLTkAC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

Pg 276, google gives a huge preview of the book

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not understanding the question. I don't see the derivation they claim to have made in the book. Is the question asking for a taylor expansion where the a = sigma/еW?

I only see them talking about a taylor expansion of r = jb (1-jsigma/We + Xat) about x =0. However this question said Xat = 0. Wouldn't this make all derivatives taken become 0? Therefore no way to expand?

Anyone familiar with Siegmans laser book and can help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your question. Based on my understanding, the question is asking you to extend the Taylor approximation to higher-order terms for the propagation coefficient and attenuation coefficient in a lossy medium with finite conductivity. The first-order expressions for these coefficients can be derived using a Taylor-series approximation in sigma/Wе, as described in the book you mentioned.

To answer the question, you will need to first understand the Taylor-series approximation for the propagation and attenuation coefficients. This can be found in the book on page 276, as you mentioned. The first-order expressions are derived by expanding r = jb (1-jsigma/We + Xat) about x = 0. However, in this case, Xat is equal to 0, which means that all derivatives taken will become 0. This is a valid concern and it may seem like there is no way to expand further.

However, the question is asking you to extend the approximation to the next higher-order terms. This means that you will need to consider the second-order terms in the Taylor expansion, which will give you a non-zero value for Xat. This will allow you to expand further and derive the next higher-order corrections to both B and a.

To find out how large the power attenuation needs to be in the first-order approximation before the higher-order corrections become significant (i.e. 10% of the first-order expressions), you will need to solve for the value of sigma/Wе that results in a 10% change in the coefficients. This value can then be converted to units of dB of power attenuation per wavelength of distance traveled, as requested in the question.

I hope this helps clarify the question for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your calculation!

Related to Laser Attenuation/Propagation Constants

What is laser attenuation?

Laser attenuation is the decrease in intensity or power of a laser beam as it travels through a medium or over a distance. It is caused by factors such as absorption, scattering, and divergence of the beam.

What are the units of laser attenuation?

Laser attenuation is typically measured in decibels (dB), which represents the logarithmic ratio between the initial power of the laser beam and the power after attenuation. It can also be measured in nepers (Np), which is the natural logarithm of the power ratio.

How is laser attenuation related to propagation constants?

Propagation constants are parameters that describe how a laser beam behaves as it propagates through a medium. They include factors such as attenuation, phase velocity, and group velocity. Laser attenuation is one of the key components of propagation constants.

What factors affect laser attenuation?

Several factors can affect laser attenuation, including the properties of the medium through which the laser beam is passing (such as absorption and scattering coefficients), the wavelength of the laser beam, and the distance the beam travels. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also play a role.

How is laser attenuation measured?

Laser attenuation can be measured using various techniques, such as using a power meter to measure the decrease in laser power over a specific distance, or using a spectrophotometer to measure the absorption and scattering of the laser beam by a medium. The specific method used will depend on the properties of the medium and the requirements of the experiment or application.