Larmor radiation formula invariance

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the relativistic generalization of the Larmor formula for radiation of a classically accelerated point charge in vacuum. The derivation is based on the assumption that the radiated power is a Lorentz invariant. The question arises as to why this assumption can be made and if there is a real derivation of this result. A possible reference for further clarification is suggested.
Nauhaie
Hi,

I have been taking a classical electrodynamics course, in which we established the classical well-known larmor formula for the radiation of a classically accelerated point charge in vacuum. Then, since the radiated power is a Lorentz invariant, we just assumed that the correct generalization was to replace the classical acceleration with the four-acceleration, and so forth.

This is actually the derivation given on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larmor_formula#Relativistic_Generalisation

What I do not understand is WHY we can assume that this power is an invariant in the first place (that is, before I write it in the obviously invariant form, which I cannot do if I do not at first assume it to be invariant).

In both "Greiner, Classical Electrodynamics" and "Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics", it is said that since dE and dt are both fourth components of quadrivectors, then dE/dt is Lorentz invariant.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26585&stc=1&d=1277122321.png

Did I miss something? Do you know of a real derivation of this result?

Thank you very much!
Nauhaie

Attachments

• jackson.png
    jackson.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,248
Physics news on Phys.org
In my version of the text, Jackson was kind enough to provide a reference; Rorlich's Classical Charged Particles p.109. It may be worth a look and can probably be found in your university's library.

Thank you very much gabbagabbahey, I'll have a look at this book asap!

Related to Larmor radiation formula invariance

1. What is the Larmor radiation formula?

The Larmor radiation formula is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which a charged particle emits electromagnetic radiation as it accelerates. It was first derived by physicist Joseph Larmor in 1897.

2. How is the Larmor radiation formula derived?

The Larmor radiation formula is derived from classical electrodynamics and is based on the assumption that the accelerated charged particle is moving at a constant velocity. It takes into account the particle's charge, mass, and acceleration, as well as the electric and magnetic fields in which it is moving.

3. Is the Larmor radiation formula invariant?

Yes, the Larmor radiation formula is invariant under the Lorentz transformation, meaning that it has the same form in all inertial reference frames. This is a fundamental principle of special relativity.

4. What is the significance of the Larmor radiation formula in particle physics?

The Larmor radiation formula is an important tool in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various physical systems, including particle accelerators and plasma physics. It also helps to explain phenomena such as synchrotron radiation and bremsstrahlung.

5. Are there any limitations to the Larmor radiation formula?

While the Larmor radiation formula is accurate for non-relativistic particles, it becomes less accurate for particles moving at relativistic speeds. In these cases, more advanced equations, such as the Liénard-Wiechert potentials, must be used to accurately describe the radiation emitted by the particle.