Larmor Frequency of 57Fe the earth's ambient magnetic field

In summary, the Larmor frequency of 57Fe in the Earth's ambient magnetic field can be calculated using the formula f=(γ/2π)B, where γ is the gyromagnetic ratio and B is the magnetic field strength. This results in a frequency of 3.2377 MHz when using the published values and 73.365 Hz when using the total field component. The North/South, East/West, and Vertical components of the magnetic field can be used interchangeably with minor differences in the calculated frequency.
rj_duff
I would like to determine the Larmor frequency of 57Fe in the Earth's ambient magnetic field.

Properties \ Nuclide 57Fe
Nuclear Spin, I 1/2
Nuclear magnetic moment, µ +0.09044
Gyromagnetic Ratio (rad T-1 s-1) 0.8661 x 10 7
Quadrupole moment (m2) 0
Relative Sensitivity (1) 3.37 x 10 -5
Natural Abundance, % 2.1
Half-life,T1/2 stable
Absolute Sensitivity (2) 4.2 x 10 -3
Frequency (MHz) @ 2.3488 T 3.231

There is of course an North/South, East/West, and Vertical component which makeup the total magnetic field strength.

1. How would I calculate the Larmor frequency?

2. Do all the magnetic field components need to be accounted for?

I have found related pages on hyperphysics.com but do not have the background to follow everything presented, therefore, unable to determine the values to plug into the formulas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok - I'll answer my own question.

[tex]f=\frac{\gamma}{2\pi}B[/tex]

Checking this formula against the above published frequency of 3.231MHz in a 2.3488T field:

(0.8661E7 / 2pi) * 2.3488 = 3.2377 MHz

The results are not in exact agreement - off by 6.68 KHz

Magnetic Field Values
Horizontal Intensity: 21,033.4nT
North Component: 20,753.7nT
East Component: 3418.7nT
Vertical Component: 48,890.4nT
Total Field: 53,222.9 nT

Calculating frequency based on the total field component:
(0.8661E7 / 2pi) * 53,222.9 = 73.365 Hz

Calculating frequency based on the vertical field component:
(0.8661E7 / 2pi) * 48,890.4nT = 67.393 Hz

From a practical standpoint, there is not that much variation in using the
vertical Vs total field component.

I understand your interest in determining the Larmor frequency of 57Fe in the Earth's ambient magnetic field. The Larmor frequency is defined as the frequency at which a nuclear spin precesses around the direction of an external magnetic field. In this case, we are interested in the Larmor frequency of 57Fe in the Earth's magnetic field, which is a combination of the Earth's main magnetic field and its smaller components (North/South, East/West, and Vertical).

To calculate the Larmor frequency, we can use the formula: ω = γB, where ω is the Larmor frequency, γ is the gyromagnetic ratio of 57Fe (0.8661 x 10^7 rad T^-1 s^-1), and B is the total magnetic field strength. In this case, we can assume that the Earth's magnetic field strength is 2.3488 T (tesla), as stated in the provided information.

Therefore, the Larmor frequency of 57Fe in the Earth's ambient magnetic field would be 2.034 x 10^8 Hz (hertz) or 203.4 MHz (megahertz). This means that the nuclear spin of 57Fe would precess at a frequency of 203.4 million times per second in the Earth's magnetic field.

To answer your second question, yes, all the magnetic field components need to be accounted for in order to accurately calculate the Larmor frequency. This is because the direction and strength of the magnetic field affect the precession of the nuclear spin.

I understand that the formulas and information on hyperphysics.com can be overwhelming, but I would suggest seeking guidance from a physics professor or a knowledgeable colleague to help you understand and apply the necessary values. Alternatively, you can also consult a physics textbook for further explanation and examples. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Larmor Frequency of 57Fe the earth's ambient magnetic field

What is the Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field?

The Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field is the frequency at which the nucleus of a 57Fe atom precesses or rotates around the direction of the earth's magnetic field. It is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the gyromagnetic ratio of the 57Fe isotope.

How is the Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field calculated?

The Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field is calculated using the formula: Larmor Frequency = (gyromagnetic ratio * magnetic field strength)/2π. The gyromagnetic ratio of 57Fe is 8.17 x 10^7 rad/T*s.

Why is the Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field important?

The Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field is important because it can be used to study the magnetic properties of materials containing 57Fe atoms. It is also used in a variety of applications such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.

How does the Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field change with location?

The Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field can vary depending on the location on earth. This is because the strength of the earth's magnetic field is not uniform across the globe. It is stronger at the poles and weaker at the equator, resulting in a higher Larmor Frequency at the poles and a lower frequency at the equator.

Can the Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, the Larmor Frequency of 57Fe in the earth's ambient magnetic field can be affected by external magnetic fields. If a stronger magnetic field is applied, the Larmor Frequency will increase, and if a weaker field is applied, it will decrease. This phenomenon is used in NMR spectroscopy to manipulate the precession of 57Fe nuclei for analysis.