Largest structure in the universe discovered so far

In summary, the article suggests that this newly found quasar group is significantly larger than anything previously known, and could have a significant impact on current models of the universe. It is unclear at this point how this will change our understanding of the universe, but it is worth keeping an eye on.
PhysicsDad
Just saw this http://www.space.com/19220-universe-largest-structure-discovered.htmlarticle about a quasar group that's 4 Gly long. Not to speculate too much, but any thoughts on how much of an impact this could have on our current models and understanding of the formation of the universe? The article says it "challenges modern theory" but I am curious, to what extent could it change how we look at the universe?

Moderators: if this becomes too speculative, I apologize, and please shut it down if that is the case.

Thank you all ahead of time.

Space news on Phys.org
Ahh, I must have missed that... Thank you

no problem. Some good info on the other thread should answer your earrlier question.
The size is at the near limit of homogeneous, which is usually described as above 100 Mpc.
Below 100 Mpc we already know the universe in inhomogeneous. So I don't believe this will have any significant affect on current Homogeneous/Inhomogeneous related issues.

This is a quote from another article on the same site, describing the size of this formation.

http://www.space.com/19227-biggest-structure-universe-explained-infographic.html

Quote:
The currently accepted Cosmological Principle, based on the work of Albert Einstein, suggests that the largest structures we should be able to find would be about 370 megaparsecs across (more than 1.2 billion light-years). The newly found quasar group is 1,200 megaparsecs across, a distance that would take four billion years to cross at the speed of light.
End quote

Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean, this seems to be A LOT bigger than 100 Mpc

Am I just not understanding something correctly?

No you didn't miss anything I did, lol my turn. I found a full paper linked to one of the links in the other thread I posted. They are being cautious understandably so.

If you look in the conclusions on this paper it best describes some of the concerns. Also as Pointed out we also have to be cautious as to what constitutes a structure.
http://mnras.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/01/07/mnras.sts497.full.pdf+html

Chronos mentioned that last bit.

Another problem you run into with large scale structures is what constitutes a structure? Is it the number of galaxies in a certain volume, the matter/energy density contained within that volume, or something else? It surely must be something you can objectively quantify. Another issue is the evolutionary history of the bodies involved - are they related? Is it a grouping of bodies with a common history, or a chance alignment between two unrelated overdense regions that happen to be wandering across our line of sight? I think these are among the reasons Clowe is guarded in his conclusions.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

It may be that in the standard [itex]\Lambda[/itex]CDM model there simply has not been enough time for such a large structure to form from an initial homogeneous (+ CMB anisotropies) state.

It would then be another example of old structures in a 'young' universe such as discussed in my old (and now locked thread) Is There An Age Problem In The Early LCDM Model?

Garth

PhysicsDad said:
Quote:
The currently accepted Cosmological Principle, based on the work of Albert Einstein, suggests that the largest structures we should be able to find would be about 370 megaparsecs across (more than 1.2 billion light-years). The newly found quasar group is 1,200 megaparsecs across, a distance that would take four billion years to cross at the speed of light.
End quote

Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean, this seems to be A LOT bigger than 100 Mpc

Am I just not understanding something correctly?
The original paragraph isn't really accurate. There are expected to be structures at all scales. In fact, the highest-amplitude perturbations produced by inflation are at around 250Mpc.

The main point here is that inflation set up initial density perturbations at every length scale. At smaller scales, those density perturbations become mixed-up by the effects of local gravity, but at large scales those initial perturbations hang around. Go much about 250Mpc, and structures should become increasingly rare, but should never entirely disappear.

Edit: Note that you don't expect to have gravitationally-collapsed structures, like galaxy clusters or superclusters, that are larger than about 80Mpc, because they won't have had time to collapse. But there's no problem with having a coherent string of such collapsed objects on much larger scales.

Related to Largest structure in the universe discovered so far

What is the largest structure in the universe that has been discovered so far?

The largest structure in the universe that has been discovered so far is the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall. It is a massive galaxy cluster that measures about 10 billion light years across.

How was the largest structure in the universe discovered?

The Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall was discovered using data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, a project that maps the distribution of galaxies in the universe. Scientists were able to identify this structure by analyzing the positions and velocities of over 50,000 galaxies.

What makes the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall the largest structure in the universe?

This structure is considered the largest in the universe because of its immense size and mass. It is estimated to contain the mass of about 100 trillion suns, making it one of the most massive objects in the known universe.

How does the discovery of the largest structure in the universe impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall has challenged our current understanding of the universe and its structure. It suggests that the universe is more complex and contains larger structures than we previously thought.

Is it possible that there are even larger structures in the universe that we have yet to discover?

Yes, it is possible that there are even larger structures in the universe that have yet to be discovered. The universe is constantly expanding and evolving, and there may be structures that are even larger than the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall waiting to be discovered.