Large Static E Field, Dielectric Break Down, Quantum View

In Summary, the large static field can liberate an electron classically, and the increased intensity of a non-resonant frequency can't liberate the electron. However, increasing the intensity of resonant frequency can lead to the ionization of molecules.
azaharak
Hi

Got a question, hoping someone can give a good explanation for.

We all know that large static uniform electric fields have the potential to ionize. (Dielectric breakdown of Air - Static Electricity Shock).

In the Quantum picture, why does this occur. Take for instance the photo electric effect, increasing the intensity of radiation does not allow for electron ejection/excitation unless the frequency is above a certain threshold.

The frequency for a static field, I'm assuming to be zero. I'm thinking that, (virtual photons) could play a role in the underlying static field, and these photons might be the right frequency to ionize?

For a large static field, I understand why the ionization occurs classically but ...

I understand that a large enough static field, can liberate the electron classically.

I understand that even without this large static field that tunneling is a possibility.

What I don't understand is how a static field is really that much different from extremely low frequency radiation.

What I have learned is that only certain frequencies of radiation (light) can produce excitation or ionization. Increasing the intensity of a non resonant frequency will not liberate the electron (here the frequency is less that than threshold Like photo electric effect).

For instance, take really large intensity radiowaves Such that they will produce a huge electric field that is time varying. But they should not be able to ionize an atom?

Is the difference here that large intensities are many single photon combination.
What is so different between a high intensity static electric field and high intensity extremely low frequency radiation, other than the magnetic field tagging along with the radiation and the sinusoidal dependence?

Still a little uncertain.

Thank you all for your responses.

Best

Az

Physics news on Phys.org
Your supposition is wrong. You can get ionisation through non-resonant excitation. Radio sources will induce ionisation at sufficient intesities.

Are you familiar with Keldysh theory? This is the theoretical framework that governs the transition between tunneling ionisation and multi-photon ionisation in the non-resonant case.

Claude.

azaharak said:
Hi

Got a question, hoping someone can give a good explanation for.

We all know that large static uniform electric fields have the potential to ionize. (Dielectric breakdown of Air - Static Electricity Shock).

In the Quantum picture, why does this occur. Take for instance the photo electric effect, increasing the intensity of radiation does not allow for electron ejection/excitation unless the frequency is above a certain threshold.

The frequency for a static field, I'm assuming to be zero. I'm thinking that, (virtual photons) could play a role in the underlying static field, and these photons might be the right frequency to ionize?

For a large static field, I understand why the ionization occurs classically but ...

I understand that a large enough static field, can liberate the electron classically.

I understand that even without this large static field that tunneling is a possibility.

What I don't understand is how a static field is really that much different from extremely low frequency radiation.

What I have learned is that only certain frequencies of radiation (light) can produce excitation or ionization. Increasing the intensity of a non resonant frequency will not liberate the electron (here the frequency is less that than threshold Like photo electric effect).

For instance, take really large intensity radiowaves Such that they will produce a huge electric field that is time varying. But they should not be able to ionize an atom?

Is the difference here that large intensities are many single photon combination.
What is so different between a high intensity static electric field and high intensity extremely low frequency radiation, other than the magnetic field tagging along with the radiation and the sinusoidal dependence?

Still a little uncertain.

Thank you all for your responses.

Best

Az

This is a bit confusing.

Let's start first of all by saying that in an electrical breakdown, there's a "source" of ionization. This is true be it in a static or alternating E-field.

Secondly, the external E-field is significantly lower than the ionizing potential of the molecules involved.

In many instances, there is an "initiator" or source. Often, it is a region with high field-enhancement (sharp, pointy objects). The most accepted explanation involves the formation of field-emission current (see Fowler-Nordheim model) from these field-enhancement region. These currents gain significant energy from the external field so much so that they can collide and ionize with the surrounding gas. This in turn can often lead to a cascading effect resulting in the formation of a plasma for a very brief period (see this: http://focus.aps.org/story/v19/st4).

The "quantum" aspect in all of this is not really in the field itself, but in how the source or initiator react to the field. The Fowler-Nordheim model invokes tunneling effects that resulted in the field emission current.

Zz.

Thank you

Soo, I'm assuming that the ionization due to high electric field occurs because of some (initiation), like how water begins to boil (spontaneous boiling)

I still maybe wrong.

Another thing, according to this Keldysh theory (previous reply)

you can ionize atoms (strip off electrons) with extremely high intensity radio waves.

Am I correct in saying that this ionization would not occur (if it was not for tunneling)?

Thanks again everyone

Related to Large Static E Field, Dielectric Break Down, Quantum View

1. What is a "Large Static E Field"?

A large static E field refers to an electric field that remains constant in magnitude and direction. It is typically generated by a charged object and is measured in units of volts per meter.

2. What is Dielectric Break Down?

Dielectric break down is the phenomenon in which an insulating material, also known as a dielectric, loses its ability to resist an electric field and begins to conduct electricity. This can lead to the breakdown of the material and potentially cause damage.

3. How does Quantum View relate to a Large Static E Field?

Quantum View is a concept in quantum mechanics that explains the behavior of particles at a quantum level. In the case of a large static E field, quantum view can help us understand the behavior of particles in the presence of this field, such as how they may gain or lose energy.

4. Why is it important to study Large Static E Fields and Dielectric Break Down?

Studying large static E fields and dielectric break down is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of materials and systems in the presence of electric fields. This knowledge is crucial in many industrial and technological applications, such as designing electronic devices and ensuring the safety of electrical equipment.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Large Static E Fields and Dielectric Break Down?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of large static E fields and dielectric break down. Some examples include capacitors, transformers, and power grids, where the behavior of electric fields and dielectric materials is essential for their proper functioning. Additionally, understanding these concepts is also crucial in fields such as material science, engineering, and physics research.