Which Boiling Point is Higher: Hex+Prop vs Prop? URGENT!

In summary, Mrs Kam thinks that the mixture of hexane and propanone has a higher boiling point, while my classmate and my teacher think that the mixture has a lower boiling point.
KLscilevothma
Boiling point, urgent !

Which of the following has higher boiling point?
1) Mixture of hexane and propanone
2) propapone
(consider their relative molecular mass and the forces of attraction between the molecules)

I think the mixture of hexane and propanone has a higher boiling point, as propanone has lone pair electrons, therefore the force between the molecules in the mixture is dipole-induced dipole, while the force exists between pure propanone molecules is instantaneous diple-induced dipole.

However my classmate told me the mixture has a lower boiling point and was confirmed by my teacher.

I hope I can get your answer in 3 to 4 hours, if not, it's ok and I'll treat this thread as a discussion. Thanks in advance.

PS. This question is for the theory part of my lab. report. Since the data obtained was ridiculous, that's why I need to know the fact.

PS2. I need to finish it in 4.5 hours.

Biology news on Phys.org
The boiling point of Propane is -42degrees
The boiling point of Hexane is 69 degrees

I think you might be right Mrs Kam

I think you might be right Mrs Kam
Mrs Kam ??! I'm not Mrs Kam.

Propane : C3H8
propanone : CH3C=OCH3

In fact, i need to draw a graph, variation of boiling point against % composition by volume haxane/propanone mixture. (This is an experiment on phase equilibrium)

Last edited:
acetone

hexane: 68.7
acetone: 56.5

sounds like a boring lab

The word "azeotrope" should appear somewhere in the background material for the lab. Prediction of "azeotropes" is a topic for the M&PS forum.

Originally posted by myself
I think the mixture of hexane and propanone has a higher boiling point, as propanone has lone pair electrons, therefore the force between the molecules in the mixture is dipole-induced dipole, while the force exists between pure propanone molecules is instantaneous diple-induced dipole.
Um..this is wrong. The force between molecules in pure propanone(acetone) is dipole-dipole interaction, since there are 2 lone pair electrons. The bond between molecules in pure hexane is instantaneous dipole-induced dipole. If they are mixed together, hexane molecules will destroy the dipole-dipole interaction between propanone molecules and to form a diple-induced dipole interatction.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is the chemical composition of Hex + Prop and Prop?

Hex + Prop is a combination of hexane and propane, while Prop is only propane. Hexane is a six-carbon alkane with the chemical formula C6H14, and propane is a three-carbon alkane with the chemical formula C3H8.

2. Why is it important to know the boiling point of Hex + Prop and Prop?

Knowing the boiling point of a substance is important because it helps determine its physical properties and behavior under different conditions. In the case of Hex + Prop and Prop, their boiling points can affect their use in various industries such as fuel production and chemical synthesis.

3. Which boiling point is higher between Hex + Prop and Prop?

The boiling point of Hex + Prop is higher than Prop. Hex + Prop has a boiling point of approximately 64°C, while Prop has a boiling point of approximately -42°C. This difference is due to the longer carbon chain in Hex + Prop, which leads to stronger intermolecular forces and a higher boiling point.

4. How do the intermolecular forces affect the boiling point of Hex + Prop and Prop?

The strength of intermolecular forces, such as London dispersion forces and dipole-dipole interactions, determines the boiling point of a substance. The longer carbon chain in Hex + Prop allows for more surface area for these forces to act on, leading to a higher boiling point compared to Prop.

5. Is the boiling point of Hex + Prop and Prop affected by other factors?

Yes, the boiling point of a substance can also be influenced by external factors such as atmospheric pressure and impurities. Higher atmospheric pressure can increase the boiling point, while impurities can decrease the boiling point. However, these factors have a minimal effect on the boiling point of Hex + Prop and Prop compared to the strength of intermolecular forces.