Laplace's Method Integration

In summary, Laplace's Method Integration is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of integrals with large exponents, particularly useful for calculating integrals involving complex functions. It involves finding the saddle point of the integrand and approximating the integral as a Gaussian distribution centered around this point. However, it may not be suitable for integrals with rapidly oscillating functions or multiple saddle points, and there are alternative methods such as the Method of Stationary Phase and the Method of Saddle Point Integration that may provide more accurate results in certain cases.
ra_forever8
Consider the integral
\begin{equation}
I_n(x)=\int^{2}_{1} (log_{e}t) e^{-x(t-1)^{n}}dt
\end{equation}
Use Laplace's Method to show that
\begin{equation}
I_n(x) \sim \frac{1}{nx^\frac{2}{n}} \int^{\infty}_{0} \tau^{\frac{2-n}{n}} e^{-\tau} d\tau \end{equation}
as $x\rightarrow\infty$.
where $0<n\leq2$. Hence find the leading order behaviour of $I_{1}(x)$. and $I_{2}(x)$ as $x\rightarrow \infty$.
=>
Its really difficult question for me.
Here,
$g(t) = -(t-1)^{n}$ has the maximum at $t=0$
but $h(t)= log_{e}t$ at $t=0$
$h(0)=0$.
so I can not go any further. PLEASE HELP ME.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
grandy said:
Consider the integral
\begin{equation}
I_n(x)=\int^{2}_{1} (log_{e}t) e^{-x(t-1)^{n}}dt
\end{equation}
Use Laplace's Method to show that
\begin{equation}
I_n(x) \sim \frac{1}{nx^\frac{2}{n}} \int^{\infty}_{0} \tau^{\frac{2-n}{n}} e^{-\tau} d\tau \end{equation}
as $x\rightarrow\infty$.
where $0<n\leq2$. Hence find the leading order behaviour of $I_{1}(x)$. and $I_{2}(x)$ as $x\rightarrow \infty$.
=>
Its really difficult question for me.
Here,
$g(t) = -(t-1)^{n}$ has the maximum at $t=0$
but $h(t)= log_{e}t$ at $t=0$
$h(0)=0$.
so I can not go any further. PLEASE HELP ME.

First it is useful to write the integral in a more suitable form...

$\displaystyle I_{n} (x) = \int_{0}^{1} \ln (1 + t)\ e^{- x\ t^{n}}\ d t\ (9)$

The Laplace integration of an expression like...

$\displaystyle I(x) = \int_{a}^{b} f(t)\ e^{- x\ g(t)}\ dt\ (2)$

... consists in approximating (2) with an expression which is valid for 'large' x according with the following steps...

a) let's suppose that g(t) has a minimum in t= c, being c in [a,b]...

b) we expand in Taylor series f(t) and g(t) around t=c...

c) we extend the integration range in $(- \infty, + \infty)$ or in $[0, + \infty)$ if c=0 and try to use the properties of the Laplace Transform [that's why this procedure is called 'Laplace Integration'...]

Now we can procced taking into account that is $\displaystyle f(t) = \ln (1 + t) \sim t$, $\displaystyle g(t)= t^{n}$ which has a minimum in x=0...

$\displaystyle I_{n} (x) = \int_{0}^{1} \ln (1 + t)\ e^{- x\ t^{n}}\ d t \sim \frac{1}{n}\ \int_{0}^{\infty} \tau^{\frac{1}{n}-1}\ \ln (1 + \tau^{\frac{1}{n}})\ e^{- x\ \tau}\ d \tau\ \sim$

$\displaystyle \sim \frac{1}{n}\ \int_{0}^{\infty} \tau^{\frac{2}{n}-1}\ e^{- x\ \tau}\ d \tau = \frac{\Gamma (\frac{2}{n})}{n\ x^{\frac{2}{n}}}\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

Related to Laplace's Method Integration

1. What is Laplace's Method Integration?

Laplace's Method Integration, also known as Laplace's Method or the Method of Steepest Descent, is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of integrals with large exponents. It is particularly useful for calculating integrals involving complex functions.

2. How does Laplace's Method Integration work?

Laplace's Method Integration involves finding the saddle point, or point of maximum curvature, of the integrand and then approximating the integral as a Gaussian or normal distribution centered around this point. This allows for a simplification of the integral and a more accurate approximation of its value.

3. What are the limitations of Laplace's Method Integration?

Laplace's Method Integration is most effective for integrals with large exponents and complex functions. It may not provide accurate results for integrals with rapidly oscillating functions or those with multiple saddle points. Additionally, it is not suitable for evaluating integrals with poles or branch cuts.

4. When is Laplace's Method Integration used?

Laplace's Method Integration is commonly used in physics, statistics, and other fields where integrals with large exponents arise. It is also used in the field of quantum mechanics to approximate the wave function of a particle in a potential well.

5. Are there any alternatives to Laplace's Method Integration?

Yes, there are other methods for approximating integrals such as the Method of Stationary Phase and the Method of Saddle Point Integration. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of integrals and can provide more accurate results in some cases.